Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #30

Subject: "Just wanting to vent to get ideas..." Previous topic | Next topic
PepperfireThu Oct-12-06 06:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."

I have a small (but swiftly growing) business and I seem to be having the hardest time getting decent help. Maybe it's me??? Naw.

We have a great place to work. We all have a wonderful time, we essentially set our own hours, we joke around but when it comes time to work, everyone here simply does their job and it's great.

About a year and a half ago, I hired an assistant. Her job is to essentially do the filing, help around the shop, take care of customers, answer the phone, take messages, work in the kitchen when needed (picking peppers, juicing limes) and help load and unload the van when it's going to or coming from a show.

The first assistant we hired was perfect, except for that the first week she was here, she missed two days work and was late three times. I let her go.

The second assistant I hired was also perfect, except that she came down with a case of mono during our busy season. When she was well enough to come back to work, instead she went back to school full-time, but wanted me to hold her job until June when she'd finish.

The last assistant I hired was going along beautifully, until about a month ago, when she started leaving early and occasionally, when I was out of town at a show, she simply didn't show up. She was having some trouble with her teenage son that was causing her to miss some work as well, but we had been working around it all and the thought of firing her, although we could have, didn't even enter our minds.

Then about a week ago, out of the blue, she simply quit. She didn't even quit to my face, simply sent an email saying I won't be coming back. I was stunned, she'd never so much as complained that she didn't like the job or that she was even remotely unhappy. In fact, it was a case of the exact opposite, she went around town (we're in a small town) and told everyone how much she loved working with us.

The unemployment officer called to follow up with us and she told me that the reason that the assistant quit was because we were making her clean toilets and asking her to do things that weren't in her job description. But we weren't and in fact we were bending over backwards to be good to her. Or so I thought.

She had indeed cleaned the bathroom one day last month, but nobody asked her to do it. And in fact, she wasn't even doing all of the duties we had originally told her we needed her to do, because she had mobility problems. We had accommodated her physical needs. She'd had two crutches to get around on, but the majority of her tasks didn't require her to move around. The most difficult thing that anyone asked her to do the entire time she was here, aside from juice limes, (we have a machine), was to be on time and show up on the days she was supposed to work. It's not like were weren't a helpful employer, one day a friend of hers was getting married and I worked her shift so she could go to the wedding. Another day, a friend of hers had died and we closed our shop so she could go to the funeral.

Since then I have discovered that she has essentially done bare bones work only since August 24th and I have had to do everything that had not been done since then. Aargh.

Is it something I'm doing or not doing when I hire the employee? Because it sure as heck looks like I'm simply hiring the wrong people. Our kitchen and sales staff are incredible, we have, as yet, never had a problem.

At this moment I have had to put on hold hiring an assistant again, because with the Christmas shows coming up, I simply don't have time to train one.

What I'd like to know is what can I ask or what can I do to help prevent me hiring another deadbeat???

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas...
Oct 12th 2006
Oct 18th 2006
Oct 18th 2006
Oct 19th 2006
Dec 11th 2006
Dec 11th 2006
Dec 12th 2006
Dec 15th 2006
Jun 06th 2007
Jan 23rd 2007
Jan 23rd 2007
Jun 14th 2007
Jun 22nd 2007
Jul 18th 2007
Jul 18th 2007
Sep 11th 2007
Sep 11th 2007

DBeaversThu Oct-12-06 10:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

1. Demand a resume', complete with names of employers and supervisors for the past 3 years.

2. Contact those people to get a candid opinion of the prospective employee. Unless they are just trying to help that person get a job, they'll probably be honest with you.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

hurtnpoetWed Oct-18-06 04:08 AM

#2. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

hello there peppermaster!

sounds like you are having difficulties obtaining assistance.
these are just opinions, but i will share them with you.
how extensive is your tracking record for prospective hirees? i mean, do you look at their past history or job performances at former jobs.
do you have a probationary period policy? sounds like you might need to develope one for a year!
and finally, whatver u decide----------- be consistant!

PepperfireWed Oct-18-06 10:48 AM

#3. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the comments, folks.

To respond... For pay, our compatriots and other competition for employees in the area, on average pay about $3 less per hour. So I doubt it's that.

I go over the resume of a prospective employee with a fine tooth comb. Unfortunately, the employees who are applying haven't had histories that we can go back on. In fact the one who just quit without notice had her Uncle as her last employer. Was that a warning bell I missed? So, yes, aggressively interviewing ex-employers is a great idea, but unfortunately, how do I know for sure that the employer really is a valid reference?

We do have a probationary period of 3 months, and this last employee had gone well beyond that, she's been here for 6. I can't imagine what good a probationary period of 1 year would do me, it takes me three months to train the office assistant, if I put a year into her and she still quits at that point, I'm right back where I started anyway.

There has to be a better way!

I can't be the only person with this problem???

Oddly enough, all of my blue collar workers are here still since day one. It's only the office employees I've had difficulty with.

Eat more peppers!

juliarussoThu Oct-19-06 03:17 PM

#4. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 3

Here's what I learned from the other side of the counter after being the boss for 30 years...

I have been self employed all my adult life. Recently, while being between businesses, I tried the "easy" way out of my financial problems--I applied for a j-o-b. After 30 years, would anyone want to hire me? Someone who was as desperate as me took the chance and hired me---at $8.50 an hour--. Soon I was up for a raise (to $9 an hr.). Soon after, I went for the big bucks elsewhere at $11 an hr.

It was brutal--not just the work and low pay, but the DRAIN on my life and my psyche. My "coworkers" did as little as possible and complained constantly about everything. The clock became my focus--how soon is quitting time? I learned that no good deed or idea goes unpunished. There were no incentives to create loyalty. Employees gossiped and bitched... had to watch who you spoke to and take care what you said.

Funny how the perspective of work as life draining can be to anyone who is a "gray" collar worker. This is what I ascertain "office" employees to be. They are a bit more valuable than the blue collar guys but not really getting much more than them in time and money--they just get to dress a little better.

The bc's are quite often more grateful for their position and know they must hang on to the job until something better comes along or until they, too, become more valuable. So they actually have more to look forward to than the office help. Hey, all you have is "up" from there, right?

The point of all this is that basically, perks, money, power and control over your own life is the binding force to keep working for someone else. Ultimately, we know you can't get rich working for the boss; you can't even make ends meet (yes, I quit those jobs and will never get another one--I made a month's pay this morning in 45 min. in my home business, so what do you think?)

Office level employees may actually work harder and stay with the job if they have a discernable and meaningful affect on the company--measured in goals being reached and being rewarded for doing so, or, better yet, sharing in the profits. Sales incentives, extra commissions on sales that are directly traced back to the employee, involving your workers in some decisions (find out what talents or interests they have and find ways to make them applicable to enhancing your business atmosphere--get them involved).

Just make them glad to be there. What you may consider a perk (getting time off, etc.), may not be what excites the worker. It may take asking them to take a survey just to get to know what they have on their mind. In the end, if you have done all you can to make the relationship work but it doesn't--make a clean break and stop wasting your life AND theirs. Someone else will always be happy to try to do the job. Add that advice to the other comments above and hopefully you will find a recipe for a few long lasting employees.
Good luck and take care.
Julia

geekgirlMon Dec-11-06 08:05 AM

#5. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4

One employer I had used a temp service as his hiring grounds. He would temporarily hire people to establish the probationary period (without even having to call it that). Once decided that it would become a full-time position, the relationship became a permanent hire.

This has two good aspects:

1- If a person is at a temp agency to find work, they usually have had to do a fairly extensive application process so should really want a job (and usually not afraid of working).

2- If you aren't happy with their performance, get someone else - it was a temp position anyway. Gives more leeway in the hiring/firing department... AND as an added bonus: the unemployment office will never call you about a temp!

my $.02

geekgirl

Add: You did say you were in a small town however - too small to have a temp agency? or is there a bigger city fairly close that may feed yours?

PepperfireMon Dec-11-06 12:35 PM

#6. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Dec-11-06 12:36 PM by Pepperfire

>One employer I had used a temp service as his hiring grounds.

I hadn't thought about using a temp agency. I really don't know if there is one that feeds our town, but that is a great idea! I will look into it.

Wish me luck.

Eat more peppers!

hurtnpoetTue Dec-12-06 06:59 AM

#7. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Dec-12-06 07:01 AM by hurtnpoet

good afternoon,

i hear what all of you are venting! i started my small online business about a year ago. yes, it is fairly new, but i tell you, i cannot wait until it grows more. i work full and part-time as a social worker and recreation therapist. i have worked in this field for about 14 years and i am burnt out. first of all, social workers, this field in general is very low scaled and low paid.

in addition to working these two jobs, i am out marketing, promoting and providing services for my business. i am so exhausted at times. i realize, however, i have got to do this because as they say, Social Workers are so over rated. this is despite the fact we save many lives everyday! i'm not going to get anywhere waiting on anything to come to me voluntarily.

my soul motivation is to fulfill my dream, passion, mission and vision! i wish you all the same, despite the entrepreneurs'challenges.

HURTNPOET, LLC
WWW.HURTNPOET.COM
Aleasia Hurt, CEO

JanetBFri Dec-15-06 06:14 AM

#8. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hello,
You are not alone. It is hard to find good employees sometimes. In addition to checking references you can ask behavioral type questions. For example what would you do if XYZ happened. You could use examples from your business operations. You can also ask questions about work ethic, like "what would you do if you finished all of your work and the boss was not here?" If you want some more ideas send me an email. info@businessesource.com
JK

findingdetailsWed Jun-06-07 07:29 AM

#11. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4

Julia,

That is a very thought provoking take on what it is like to be an office employee. I guess I never quite thought of it that way, but you are so right.

When I was in fact, as you would say, a "blue collar" worker I looked up to those "gray collar" workers and wanted to be one of them. But, now that I am a "Gray collar" worker, I long for something more. When I look at how much I do make and the fact that I have to end up paying more for my better dressed wardrobe makes me wonder why I didn't just stay a blue collar worker? When ultimately I am making the same or less when you figure it all out. I mean I have debt from student loans now, I have to pay more for my wardrobe, I have to spend more time researching information (sometimes my own personal time) in order to be a successful employee. So all and all I would be further ahead had I remained a blue collar worker.

However, that is not what I want. I envision the bigger picture. I strive to be the bigger and better fish out there and become my own boss. I think that in order to be a good "gray collar worker" you need to have the ambition to become more, not to just settle. Once you settle on maintaining that level, you will not strive for future success, but rather just go through the motions. It is very very frustrating however, waiting to gain that knowledge to move on to the next level, and patience is not my strong point.

In order to have a good employee I think that they must have aspirations to do more. And as an employer you must be willing to feed there aspirations and wish them well when they move on to the next level.

Just some food for thought!

Tam;-)

BrianInArkansasTue Jan-23-07 06:17 AM

#9. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

There are many things you can ask and many more that you cannot.

It all starts with the wording of a help wanted ad - and making sure that the applicant does not waste your time filling out an application or interviewing if it will not be a good fit...

I like the prospective employee to spend time with 1 or 2 other employees at the work place and let them get a view of the posibilities.

By having a "unique" application can help to make the process less stressful etc... And by that I mean asking their favorite color and why? Best practical joke they pulled? Favorite zoo animal?...

There are many more creative questions you can ask - but if they answer "black, because it is spooky, set fire to my fraternity or a Gorilla because they dont take no #$@!" as one I interviewed did.... pass on them.

By making the hiring process as fun and light as possible... you may just discover the "magic" employee you seek...

Good luck!

Brian

PepperfireTue Jan-23-07 07:08 AM

#10. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have decided to use a virtual assistant on call. She is under contract and I won't have to worry about her not showing up to work on time. If the work isn't done, she won't get paid.

Funny that one should have to resort to hiring another entrepreneur in order to get a good employee with a good work ethic.

T

Eat more peppers!

ZeroGCreativeThu Jun-14-07 05:07 PM

#12. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 10

Ever thought about hiring an intern?? If you are in a small town, there may not be very many jobs for someone finishing their last year of school. So your position might be very appealing. You can not only train them, but mentor them as well. There are a bunch of college students who would love to be a part of a growing business. I know I would have loved a job like that during school. I am sure you would have to work with them on their school schedule, but at least you don't pay out as much as a typical employee and they may even be able to get credit for it depeneding on their major. Once they graduate, then you could offer them the full time position (and the higher pay)...and they would probably be ready to take on more responsibility too! They might feel like they are apart of something...unlike your other assistants who sound like their work ethic was down the tubes!

Jen Dudley
www.zerogcreative.com
Whether you need a new logo, business card, brochure or web site, Zero-G delivers incredible results at an affordable price. When it comes to your business, reach for the stars? Not your wallet.

PepperfireFri Jun-22-07 04:03 AM

#13. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 12

Surprisingly, that is actually a good idea.

We have an agricultural college 20 minutes up the road. I am certainly going to look into it when school opens back up in the fall.

T

Eat more peppers!

tamaralysterWed Jul-18-07 01:17 PM

#14. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Tina,

I see you have already been offered a wealth of information and good ideas. I can only reiterate what others have already said. Referance checking is essential to ensure the quality of your prospective employee. To put your mind at rest perhaps do a little research into the former position they held. It wouldn't take much to establish whether the previous job was ficticious or mis-represented.

Trust your gut instinct and take a few days to carefully consider each candidate, interview them a second time if needs be. Don't settle for one person because your desperate for the help and no one else is suitable. Often you can end up with more work and a bigger mess to clean up when hiring incompetant staff.

I do feel for your situation. Perhaps you have just had a bad run and maybe your luck will change.

I wish you all the best and hope you find the "perfect assistant" in the near future.

Regards,

tamaralysterWed Jul-18-07 01:23 PM

#15. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

Another idea is to have yourself and another person present during interviews. This will give you the opportunity to discuss the candidate with another party and perhaps get a second opinion.

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

gojigirlTue Sep-11-07 08:38 AM

#16. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hello, I am self employed also and yes it is hard finding good help, but I have also worked in a large card dealership before and was hired for the front desk phone. Then they had me multi-tasking and doing every part of the dealership except selling cars. You are hiring someone for the office assistant, but you are giving them tons of other things to do like unloading trucks and juicing limes that is the problem. You will never find someone to do that job that stays long and is happy with it, because they have to many roles in that job. You need to hire some one for the office and someone to unload trucks and do other odd jobs. Good Luck

"Functional beverages are becoming a multi-billion dollar industry"
Join Today and get your piece of the pie!
www.fawn.freelife.com
Email: goji_girls@yahoo.com

PepperfireTue Sep-11-07 09:02 AM

#17. "RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas..."
In response to Reply # 16

I'd like to agree that I need to hire someone for the office and someone for the back of the building, but the job description includes both tasks when the job is offered. Why would I need to hire two people? Do they think I'm lying when I say that loading and unloading the van will be one of their tasks?

I might ad that their job is assistant to me, not "office assistant" and since sometimes I work in the office and sometimes I work outside, my assistant would do likewise.

Finally, white collar, blue collar... doesn't really matter, the employee doesn't have to wear any particular outfit, it's all very casual here.

Hiring a second person makes sense only if I am willing to hire someone to do all of the assisting with the exception of the 30 minutes, twice a week or the 30 minutes when we get back from a show, which is about the amount of time involved in the loading and unloading of the van. If you know anyone willing to work 30 minutes a week, without me being subject to requiring paying them for 4 hours work minimum, heck, send them over. But frankly, it's ONE of the tasks, it's not even half the job.

This isn't a large company, we are currently four people. I haven't got time to deal with people whose response to being asked to gather the product together for today's outgoing orders is "that's not in my job description", when "and whatever minor tasks may be asked from them from time to time" is most explicitly part of their job description.

I don't get it... You're in a job, the employer goes out of his way with the job to accommodate your life, (what employer does that?) and just last week I went into the brasserie to have a late lunch with a customer and who is sitting at the bar in the middle of the afternoon sucking back beer? My ex-employee who quit because I made her work.

I know what the problem is, I just want to know, at this point, how to word the job search ad so that people like THAT don't answer it.

T

Eat more peppers!

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #30 Previous topic | Next topic