Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Daily Grind
Topic subjectRE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas...
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=109&topic_id=30&mesg_id=121
121, RE: Just wanting to vent to get ideas...
Posted by Pepperfire, Tue Sep-11-07 09:02 AM
I'd like to agree that I need to hire someone for the office and someone for the back of the building, but the job description includes both tasks when the job is offered. Why would I need to hire two people? Do they think I'm lying when I say that loading and unloading the van will be one of their tasks?

I might ad that their job is assistant to me, not "office assistant" and since sometimes I work in the office and sometimes I work outside, my assistant would do likewise.

Finally, white collar, blue collar... doesn't really matter, the employee doesn't have to wear any particular outfit, it's all very casual here.

Hiring a second person makes sense only if I am willing to hire someone to do all of the assisting with the exception of the 30 minutes, twice a week or the 30 minutes when we get back from a show, which is about the amount of time involved in the loading and unloading of the van. If you know anyone willing to work 30 minutes a week, without me being subject to requiring paying them for 4 hours work minimum, heck, send them over. But frankly, it's ONE of the tasks, it's not even half the job.

This isn't a large company, we are currently four people. I haven't got time to deal with people whose response to being asked to gather the product together for today's outgoing orders is "that's not in my job description", when "and whatever minor tasks may be asked from them from time to time" is most explicitly part of their job description.

I don't get it... You're in a job, the employer goes out of his way with the job to accommodate your life, (what employer does that?) and just last week I went into the brasserie to have a late lunch with a customer and who is sitting at the bar in the middle of the afternoon sucking back beer? My ex-employee who quit because I made her work.

I know what the problem is, I just want to know, at this point, how to word the job search ad so that people like THAT don't answer it.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!