Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #744

Subject: "Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions...." Previous topic | Next topic
roycesandersMon Feb-05-07 02:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions...."

Ok, I live in a town of about 500,000 people here in California. I've always wanted to open up some kind of club, and then it occured to me to open a club that doesn't serve alcohol. Now I know that alcohol sales are the major source of profits for a club, but I really feel that there is a market for this kind of thing where I live.
I figured that I could open the club during day and run it as a dance studio, then on the weekends, and some week nights, I would have it as a club.
I wouldn't necessarily market to the 18-21 year old demo., but more to the couple/family/christian/wholesome type groups. I am about to be married and I know that as you get to a certain maturity level, you no longer desire to go to regular clubs, especially with a significant other, so this would be a friendly place where you could go have a good time without worrying about other people messing with you.
I was also thinking about having a teenage night once a month (or so) so that the teens 16 and up could have fun once and awhile.

I guess what I'm wondering here is if anybody have any advice on this subject regarding other streams of income I could produce from this. Should I serve food? I was thinking about having other things around (pool tables, fooseball,etc.) Should I build this the way I want, or find a building and then work with what I have there?

Well...thanks for taking the time to look at my post, and if you have any comments, please reply!

-Royce

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions....
Feb 05th 2007
May 17th 2008
RE: Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions....t
Jun 04th 2008
Jul 08th 2008

grafmanMon Feb-05-07 03:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions...."
In response to Reply # 0

While I don't know that you have to be "couple/family/christian/" to be "wholesome", I think that you really need to work through the business model.

If you have a space that is paid for by another venture and want to try it out then I'd say you will get a better answer than just shooting in the dark.

One way to try out your idea is to rent spaces once a month say and advertise to the demo that you are looking to as your target market. You can have a monthly "temporary" club where you set up to sell drinks and other snacks typically found in clubs.

Also, don't underestimate the power of pricing non-alcholic drinks. If you mix flavors you can come up with lots of cocktails and drinks that people will pay for in addition to standard well drinks like sodas. You could also sell some of the more exotic sodas that are out there like some of the specialty ginger ale or even get into the non-alcholic beers.

If you think the your "wholesome" crowd might do it lots of regular clubs will rent their space and staff for gigs like this. Lots of rock and roll clubs become Country and Western clubs one night per week down in Orange county. I also see things like VFW's, and Elk's clubs turned into salsa clubs and dance clubs on a monthly basis.

Just some thoughts.

"Things are difficult only while you don't understand them."

louietuneSat May-17-08 02:44 PM

#2. "RE: Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions...."
In response to Reply # 1

What about having an oxygen bar?

Has anyone heard of that? Is it flavored or scented oxygen that they use?

How does that work? I have seen it in some shows... oxygen is a good thing, right? LOL

I know people have proven to make good profit on flavored coffees... so I could see a non-alcoholic bar going over very well where you are.

There are some really great Christian bands out there!

Louietune
http://www.maryslambinc.com
Now available on Amazon.com - The Secret of Yahweh! A novel for children that is mysteriously attracting adults! Do you know the secret yet?

Idea_galWed Jun-04-08 05:04 AM

#3. "RE: Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions....t"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with the first poster -

Don't keep people out of your business by labeling it as "family" or "Christian" (Even as a practicing Christian myself, I tend to get nervous about a 'Christian' business)

Second, that's not a bad idea -- rent space to organize a party. If people come out, then you have a client list all ready to go!

If space allows you could group your "non-bar" into sections -- one for dancing, one for pool/games, and one a lounge/food tables.

JeromeTue Jul-08-08 04:57 PM

#4. "RE: Non-Alcoholic Night Club, Any suggestions...."
In response to Reply # 0

Make your club people friendly ...

Turn the volume low enough for conversation yet high enough that people will dance. ALL the OTHER clubs blast people's ears. You be on a higher plane.

Only play fast songs. Every time a slow song comes on, most people disappear. High energy songs with a beat keep people dancing.

Hire a competent DJ. Or spin the records yourself until training someone else. Play songs based on how much people dance rather than just what is played on the radio. Do not play mediocre songs like "YMCA." And please skip those awful line dancing songs.

Give kinetic dance lessons early in the evening which show people how to find their unique dance style rather than copying regimented dance steps.

Have an opening weekend and let everyone in for free.

The next weekend charge a $5.00 cover.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #744 Previous topic | Next topic