Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #160

Subject: "I need some advice on cold calling sales" Previous topic | Next topic
jwaitsThu Sep-14-06 05:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I need some advice on cold calling sales"

I have a business that we market legal service membership which also includes a membership to a website that is full of resources for small business.

Right now I'm using a free directory listing to get me into the door of the small business. I have tried cold calling over the phone with a short script and setting an appointment to go in for the free directory listing. This leads me into talking to them about our legal service membership while I'm there getting their information for the free directory listing. I have also tried walking in cold and asking for the owner or maybe I already have their name and I try to set an appointment to come back in for their directory listing or if they are free I can do it right then. Again this all leads me into talking to them about my service.

What my hang up is, I'm not sure if cold calling over the phone is better than just walking in off the streets. How should I introduce myself and explain why I'm here so I don't sound like the typical run of the mill sales people?? If you have a business, why do you choose to talk to some sales people versus others? Do you prefer someone just walking in cold or would you like for them to call you and set an appointment? Please give me your feedback and any advice you have.

Jayson

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I need some advice on cold calling sales
Sep 17th 2006
Sep 22nd 2006
Sep 23rd 2006

NancySun Sep-17-06 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#2. "RE: I need some advice on cold calling sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Jayson, you could follow up the free directory listing with access to the membership site for a limited time. Technically, the membership site is a value-added bonus since it's free. However, many prospects will look at both memberships as a whole package in deciding whether they want what you're selling.

Also, if you don't already, you could market your legal service membership from the site.

You could have printouts of some of your site's content, and incorporate them into your in-person presentation. An informational marketing approach such as this is an excellent way to avoid coming across as too much of a salesman.

Good luck!

Nancy
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com
Cheap Advertising Ideas

michaelFri Sep-22-06 02:43 AM

#3. "RE: I need some advice on cold calling sales"
In response to Reply # 0

Jayson,

No business owner objects if you're talking about something of value....to the owner, not just in your own eyes. The key in cold call sales is still about numbers (I've done cold call sales since 1981 and it's still my favorite activity!)

Whether you're doing it by phone or in person (my preference) you're really just trying to find out if there is potential for future discussions. Don't give out too much free stuff as it reduces the value of your product. They know "free" isn't really free and that you're looking for more. That's ok.

This almost sounds like pre-paid legal which has a lead program you might consider if you aren't liking the cold call thing. However, if you're walking in cold, don't ask for the owner. Give whoever you meet your card, tell them what you do and ASK who would be the right person to talk to. (Getting past the gatekeeper is an art in that the more you do it, the better you get.) Then say "Can I set up that appointment with you?" You'll get a good idea of whether you should pursue or move on.

Hope this helps. There's so much more to doing it effectively.

Michael

Michael J. Dunne
The Ox Marketing Group
michael@theoxmarketinggroup.com

iwsSat Sep-23-06 07:21 AM

#4. "RE: I need some advice on cold calling sales"
In response to Reply # 0

First of all, let me ask you...do you get paid to cold call or do you get paid to close the sale?

Now that we got that out of the way, how many cold calls do you make with 0 results, no sale? So if you are out beating the streets and your results are not anything to write home about, wouldn't it seem more logical that you can do much more over the phone?

But before you jump into the deep end, (this is my opinion) use the phone to collect information, names and something about the company.
You can then do several things, you can call later and ask for the DM to see if you can get an appointment. You have his name and you know something about what they do so you can prepare your call around their business and not some canned script.

Next if you have the email...that's right email them. Even a fax or old fashioin letter can work. Point is, you can do more with technology and a little creative thinking than you can by driving around the country side to have someone say "we're not interested" and out you go.

Summary....Cold calling is a huge waste of time. Use technology (including phone) to first gather info, then fit your presentation around that.

Ocha

http://www.potpourriemporium.com
http://www.infoesource.com
Blog:
http://www.potpourriemporium.blogspot.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #160 Previous topic | Next topic