Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: I need some advice on cold calling sales
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=160&mesg_id=178
178, RE: I need some advice on cold calling sales
Posted by michael, Fri Sep-22-06 02:43 AM
Jayson,

No business owner objects if you're talking about something of value....to the owner, not just in your own eyes. The key in cold call sales is still about numbers (I've done cold call sales since 1981 and it's still my favorite activity!)

Whether you're doing it by phone or in person (my preference) you're really just trying to find out if there is potential for future discussions. Don't give out too much free stuff as it reduces the value of your product. They know "free" isn't really free and that you're looking for more. That's ok.

This almost sounds like pre-paid legal which has a lead program you might consider if you aren't liking the cold call thing. However, if you're walking in cold, don't ask for the owner. Give whoever you meet your card, tell them what you do and ASK who would be the right person to talk to. (Getting past the gatekeeper is an art in that the more you do it, the better you get.) Then say "Can I set up that appointment with you?" You'll get a good idea of whether you should pursue or move on.

Hope this helps. There's so much more to doing it effectively.

Michael

Michael J. Dunne
The Ox Marketing Group
michael@theoxmarketinggroup.com