Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #82

Subject: "Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..." Previous topic | Next topic
StarrweaverThu Feb-15-07 05:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."

I've been working at building a web design business. I also do print work projects and business cards. But as time has gone on, I've noticed that more and more places that offer templates have popped up. Plus I'm still lagging behind on learning some of the new stuff. I'm ok at HTML and trying to make it XHTML - but I've not learned CSS and don't know Flash either.

As much as I enjoy designing sites, I'm bogged down by trying to learn how to do the tech side of designing. It's starting to depress me. I want to learn, but I'm not getting the hang of it. I really would like to do designing; but I'm beginning to think maybe I should be doing something else as a business.

I had to set aside my writing, to learn to do this business. I also do some artwork still. I'm slowly losing my vision so I'm trying to find something that I can do to make money.

So does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or advice?

Starr

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out...
Feb 16th 2007
Feb 18th 2007
Mar 12th 2007
Mar 29th 2007
Apr 29th 2007
May 25th 2007
Jun 03rd 2007

PepperfireFri Feb-16-07 07:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 0

Perhaps you could partner with an architect who is really good at CSS and then you can focus on the designs and they can do the underlying stuff.

Sometimes knowing your limitation is half the battle.

Good luck to you.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

BizConsultingSun Feb-18-07 09:14 AM

#2. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 0

I would suggest you take a day to get away from your business. Go to the library, park, or somewhere where you can get away from customers, working, interruptions etc. Take a pen and paper with you. Turn your cell phone and/or PDA off. Use this time to brainstorm.

Focus on your talents and strengths. What would be the best way for you to maximize your talents? Write down every idea you come up with no matter how silly some may be. Keep drilling down and drilling down.

From this session, you will generate all sorts of ideas that you didn't even know were in you. Rank those ideas and come up with a plan of action.

You should come out of this session refreshed and excited about your future. If anything, you will feel relieved because you have made some important decisions.

Tina brings up a good point about partering up wih someone who has the skills that you lack. Outsource to those people or partner up with them. All you need to focus in on is your strengths.

Good Luck!

Suzanne
www.NewBiz-Coaching.com

E-Course for Business Start-Ups

somepunkMon Mar-12-07 12:48 PM

#3. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 0

Starr

Maybe you should focus on your print work and business cards. That way you an focus more on the design end and not have to worry about keeping up with the tech site of it all.

nightskyThu Mar-29-07 07:01 AM

#4. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-29-07 07:02 AM by nightsky

Starr...

If you like designing websites and doing the print ads... then stick with it. There is nothing worse than doing something that you don't like. I struggled for years to build my business up to the point it as now... and finally, for the past couple of years, it has started to take off and I have received some good attention nationwide.

So.. stick to it.

Now, you received a suggestion to take courses at a community college. Great advice! The person who did my first website was a recent graduate of a community college and he was able to put together a really nice site. But, he didn't know CSS or PHP or some other things. But, I am sure that the colleges are teaching those these days so you could learn there.

Something else I would suggest is to be a little patient. Go and find a job for a company that designs websites. Maybe a second job for a company that does print ads too. Here's why... that same person that designed my basic, but nice, website a long time ago... did just that. He got a job at a company and learned how to do a lot of those things that he couldn't do previously. He learned from some of the best and now is one of the best himself. He is sought after by many companies and he is now going to start working into opening his own business again. This time is will be part-time until it is built up to the point of being full time.

Don't try to compete with companies who have better skills. Go and get them yourself and then start your business.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck,

Jeff Stewart
www.NightSkyMurals.com
Your own Piece of Heaven

As seen...

... in the Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine
... in "Affluent" magazine
... in "Angies List" magazine
... "Luxist" Luxury blog

To be featured on HGTV's "I Want That"

Winner of the "Best Astronomical Ceilings" award

StrategistSun Apr-29-07 08:49 PM

#5. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hire a programmer to with. CSS is basic now

Many programmers don't do graphics or writing well and you and them would make an awesome pair.

Most of my clients who do graphics team up with copywriters, programmers, SEO's etc. Look to do that. Wont' cost you anything and it's great to have a "team" -- even if everyone on your team owns their own business.

Maria Marsala

Let me help you substantially grow your financial advisory business or nonprofit with P.E.P. Increase productivity, efficiency, and profit.

Learn more and get free tips at http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

DrAnnmariaFri May-25-07 07:48 PM

#6. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 5

Maybe it is the clash of cultures, because we are a heavily technical company who uses graphic designers on occasion, but they all seem to have never met a deadline they couldn't ignore. My friend runs a wholly web-based company and he has the same problem. Everything seems to take FOREVER and they ask a million questions, like whether we want it in rouge or vermillion (which, apparently are different colors that I did not even know existed).

I think a graphic designer who could relate to the programming staff, get stuff done on time and in general have less of an 'artistic' temperament could make a mint working with people like me and my friend. Basically, we don't care what shade of red it is as long as we get it by Thursday.

AnnMaria DeMars, Ph.D., Vice-president
(310) 717-9089 FAX (310) 496-2068
www.spiritlakeconsulting.com

"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is,above all to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all. "

iwsSun Jun-03-07 12:27 PM

#7. "RE: Now what do I do? It doesn't look like things are working out..."
In response to Reply # 0

First of all, don't you dare give up! The solution is really quite simple, maybe not easy but simple.

You have to understand that you can't do it all and it's ok to ask for help. So find some help. You know what your strengths are and where you are lacking, find someone who can fill the void. Building a successful business takes knowing that you can't do it all yourself all the time.

To your success!

Ocha

Providing inspiration and information worth sharing to help you realize your full potential.

Blog: http://www.infoworthsharing.com/blog

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #82 Previous topic | Next topic