Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #123

Subject: "Husband is burning out...help!" Previous topic | Next topic
MrsPizzaSat Oct-13-07 02:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Husband is burning out...help!"

My husband and I have owned and operated a restaurant franchise for the past 3 and a half years. My husband is the primary manager and operator, while I do the accounting and have my own full time job on the side. Problem is that he is starting to burnout and I don't know what to do. His depression started with a slump in summer sales, and although it's gotten a little bit better, he says he's still feeling stressed, anxious, alone and lost. I gave him a "don't give up" pep-talk (and he told me I should write a self-help book...haha), I also told him I would stop by once a week after work to help him with misc tasks that he needs help with and that I can also be available on weekends. Does anyone else have any other ideas for combating business owner burnout (other than selling it of course)?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Husband is burning out...help!
Oct 14th 2007
Oct 15th 2007
Oct 27th 2007
Nov 25th 2007

justDawnSun Oct-14-07 02:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Husband is burning out...help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe he just needs a break! Maybe a couple/few days off would help him?

PepperfireMon Oct-15-07 06:21 AM

#2. "RE: Husband is burning out...help!"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to agree with JustDawn. A vacation will do wonders. That's only one of the two things (imho) that cause the most burnout... The other is the lack of money coming in.

People who don't remember WHY they got into being an entrepreneur and thus, they don't take time. A quick cure is ensuring that a couple of days are taken away from work to relax; NO TALKING SHOP! and then ensure that time is taken off work every week. One day at least, two is preferable.

The others are usually burning out because the money just isn't in the bank account and for someone who used to always have money in theirs, not having it, can be very stressful. The best way to fix that is to ensure they are aware that the end of the empty bank account is in sight and how. And if you can't do that... then maybe it is time to sell the business?

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

jaxmeierSat Oct-27-07 04:17 AM

#3. "RE: Husband is burning out...help!"
In response to Reply # 0

I have gone through the exact same thing. As a business owner, it is really easy to get into the rut of "things aren't going well, so I have to work more hours to make things better"

The result is not only exhaustion, but the type of sleep that is not recuperative. My mind was racing at night, and I would only get a few hours sleep before I was up and working on something again.

Lack of good sleep seriously affects mood, and can lead to nasty things like depression and ultra high blood pressure. I have experienced both, and am happy to say, fixed both.

Obviously the best way to fix the issue is to identify the root cause, then address a reasonable solution. Is his issue lack of money? Long hours? Lack of help? A combination of the above? Something additional? Write them down, sort through them, then write ideas on how to solve them in order of least-cost/effort to highest.

Once you know, address the issue. If it is lack of money, well...that goes with the territory sometimes. Perhaps you need to offer some sort of special if allowed to fill in the slow times. Perhaps a new mix of food during the slow period if it is seasonal. Perhaps you could team up with local youth sports organizations and offer a conditional donation based on how much they spend on a designated evening. That would increase sales and visibility in the community, not to mention generate good will for future sales.

If it an employment issue, perhaps look at getting some part time help, or a management trainee. If the franchise allows it, offer internships, which are lower cost or even free.

Hope things improve...
Bruce

Save time, save gas, save money, share errands! http://www.sherrands.com

dianmillerSun Nov-25-07 01:36 PM

#4. "RE: Husband is burning out...help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Mrs Pizza

I ran a photo lab for eighteen years. I did over 1 million in sales each year. I felt like I couldn't get away. I learned a lot about delegating and time management, but burnout had started to take hold, before I learned it soon enough. The photo industry got hammered by the emerging digital technology. I now market a small business service through GoSmallBiz/PrePaid Legal. It is a business service that can help you manage the behind the scenes work, How? by working smarter. How? You have 24/7 business support on how to do this. If someone had walked into my photo lab and told me about this service, I would of just said "where is a pen, I need this NOW"
I have a self marketing site, that explains more... I know you will find this helpful. www.smallbizedge.com

You can contact me form the site if you have any questions. It's inexpensive and there is NO contract to sign.. I think 2-3 pizza's would probably pay for it and its tax deductable!

Dian Miller
www.smallbizedge.com

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #123 Previous topic | Next topic