Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Daily Grind
Topic subjectRE: Husband is burning out...help!
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=109&topic_id=123&mesg_id=126
126, RE: Husband is burning out...help!
Posted by jaxmeier, Sat Oct-27-07 04:17 AM
I have gone through the exact same thing. As a business owner, it is really easy to get into the rut of "things aren't going well, so I have to work more hours to make things better"

The result is not only exhaustion, but the type of sleep that is not recuperative. My mind was racing at night, and I would only get a few hours sleep before I was up and working on something again.

Lack of good sleep seriously affects mood, and can lead to nasty things like depression and ultra high blood pressure. I have experienced both, and am happy to say, fixed both.

Obviously the best way to fix the issue is to identify the root cause, then address a reasonable solution. Is his issue lack of money? Long hours? Lack of help? A combination of the above? Something additional? Write them down, sort through them, then write ideas on how to solve them in order of least-cost/effort to highest.

Once you know, address the issue. If it is lack of money, well...that goes with the territory sometimes. Perhaps you need to offer some sort of special if allowed to fill in the slow times. Perhaps a new mix of food during the slow period if it is seasonal. Perhaps you could team up with local youth sports organizations and offer a conditional donation based on how much they spend on a designated evening. That would increase sales and visibility in the community, not to mention generate good will for future sales.

If it an employment issue, perhaps look at getting some part time help, or a management trainee. If the franchise allows it, offer internships, which are lower cost or even free.

Hope things improve...
Bruce

Save time, save gas, save money, share errands! http://www.sherrands.com