Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3095

Subject: "new business" Previous topic | Next topic
crafty lady 1Mon Dec-01-08 12:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new business"

Hello. I am in need of advice. i am in the beginning stages of business. I want to staet a handbag business. I have come up with a name, "Purses and More". The name includes the bags I make and leaves room for expansion into possibly adding quilted items which I also make. What do you think of the name? Do handmade purses really sell? I have started on a buiness plan and will be doing feasibilty testing very soon. Thanks for any advice.
craftylady50

Becky's Bodacious Bags by Becky Helmick

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: new business
Oct 28th 2008
Oct 29th 2008
Oct 29th 2008
Nov 05th 2008
Nov 07th 2008
Nov 19th 2008
Dec 06th 2008

PepperfireTue Oct-28-08 09:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

I sell our hot sauces at the One of a Kind show every year. There are some fantastic handmade purses and bags.

My first thought is that the name "Purses and more" is rather generic and not the way that you want to market something artisanal. Don't be shy, woman. Put your name on them... in fact, I think Crafty Lady handbags might work waaaaaaaaaaay better.

To give you an idea of what you are up against, you can find some artisans on this page: http://oneofakindshow.com/xmas08/artisand.php?c=10&p=1 These guys (Merchandise Mart) put on a show in Chicago and Vancouver as well. That would be a great place to test market your bags... If they are well made and quality, they'll sell.

I purchased an "heirloom" backpack for my husband a couple of years ago for his Christmas present. It was hand sewn, according to my specs, by the artisan. Here is one of the retailers Gary Saunders supplies: http://www.hidesinhand.com/hih_home.html

I own several one of a kind handbags that I purchased at craft fairs, so, I know for a fact that there is a market for them.

Keep working on your business plan and feasibility testing. Again, if your designs are good and the quality of your work is up to snuff, you'll find your market.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

nightskyWed Oct-29-08 06:41 AM

#2. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with Tina... that the name is way too generic and zzzzzzz boring. It says what you do and leaves room, sure, but there has to be a better way to say it.

That's all I have. Many others will have better advice in this area... I just wanted to let you know my take on the name whenI first saw it.

Good luck. Sounds like you have a wanted product.

Jeff S.
Night Sky Murals
Award Winning Murals

www.NightSkyMurals.com (Product)
www.DarkSkyMurals.biz (Business Opportunity)

Featured in...

* The Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine -
* Angies List
* in Affluent
* HGTV's show - "I Want That"

jimkcliftonWed Oct-29-08 08:01 AM

#3. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

How about Becky's Bags. Don't you already have Becky's Craft Baskets? Consider a .WS website for your business. Inexpensive, easy, and fun! www.myhomeoffice.ws for more info. Good luck and blessings to you...

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

auroraWed Nov-05-08 11:22 AM

#5. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

Agree - "Purses and More" doesn't feel unique enough for handmade handbags.

I am a handbag hound. How about:

"Handbag Heaven"
"Handbag Haven"
"Becky's Bodacious Bags"
"The Purse Pulse"
"Le Sac Shack"
or even "Handbag Hound"

Best wishes,
Aurora

www.innoventum.com - FREE Step-By-Step Guide on How to Start a Business Successfully. Recommended By Over a Dozen Government Agencies.

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:31 PM

#6. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

Handmade bags are the current trend. I say go for it

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketng and business plan deals.

MidAtlanticWed Nov-19-08 07:44 PM

#7. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with Tina. Crafty Lady encompasses everything you offer and more. Quality far exceeds quantity in the handbag industry. Good Luck and keep up the hard work. You will succeed!

"Mobile Healthcare for Today's Employer, Because A Healthy WorkForce is Your Most Valuable Resource"...http://www.maohs.com

MercedezSat Dec-06-08 06:28 AM

#9. "RE: new business"
In response to Reply # 0

Whether or not handmade handbags do well, I'm not quit sure. But handbags themselves can do a wonderful job. The only thing is there are SO MUCH competition out there when it comes to selling handbags. You have to make sure you you are selling the right bags to the market you are trying to sell to. I built a website myself to try and sell lady handbags and I'm not successful at all. You can check it out at http://www.dandscollections.com.

Hope this help and good luck. If I can offer any more help on this topic, I will do the honor to help.

Mercedez
Fundraiser 1.0 - Raise Funding for your Business
http://www.lovelyurl.net/9n1c5

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3095 Previous topic | Next topic