Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3006

Subject: "Will this golf business idea work?" Previous topic | Next topic
mobydick86Fri Sep-12-08 07:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Will this golf business idea work?"
Fri Sep-12-08 07:20 PM by mobydick86

Urban driving range and practice facility

I really like golf and I want to practice more but it?s a 30 minute round trip to the range even though I?m only 5.0 mi from the range. I've tried buying hitting nets for my yard but the ball quickly breaks through. So, I had the idea that I could rent some space and basically set up an indoor range. Not one of those domes or a simulator because those business are extremely costly. Just simply a matt and about 10 ft in front of the mat will be a net or impact screen. Upon the screen will be a projection of a fairway or a green to make it a little more fun. Because you cannot see the ball flight past the net/screen, I would charge a little over half of what a real driving range charges. I'm thinking about $3.00 for a 45 ball bucket versus $5 at a real range. 75 balls for $4.50. 110 for $6.50. I'd also have a 400 sqft or slightly larger putting green that would be free. There will also be a selection of swing aids available for free such as a chipping net, impact bag, etc. I think this would be useful for beginners since they cannot get the ball off the ground and therefore do not need to see where it goes. It would also be good for people like me that are good enough that they can feel when they hit it badly and want to work on ball striking and consistency. Obviously, at some point, you have to see what happens in the air but you don?t always need that.

I would open in retail area if the lease rate is low enough which will probably not happen. Most likely, I will find a warehouse or similar industrial building with tall ceilings.

Here is the coolest part; I think the business can operate without employees. Think coin op laundry places. Many of those do not have employees. They have security cameras. I would have to devise a way to regulate the usage of the facility and prevent theft of the swing aids which I think is definitely possible. If I do staff an employee, that will significantly increase my costs and I?ll have to raise my fees.

pros:

-You can improve your swing, ball striking and consistency
-It will be in urban areas where driving ranges don?t exist and will probably never exist because it takes too much land. I think the space requirement is only about 2,100 sqft.
-Many of these can be opened so there are more locations from which to choose. Also, more locations, more profits.
-Since the startup costs are much less than real driving range, the cost to play will be much less.
-Free swing aides and putting.
-Climate controlled environment.
-Could potentially be open 24 hours

cons:

-you don?t know if you slice or hook, fade or draw.
-you cannot determine distance.

Bsed upon my assumptions of lease rate and other costs, break even (60 ball) buckets sold per day is 27. At 20% utilization, I should sell 39 buckets per day.

What do you think? Will it work? Will golfers pay to hit balls into a net?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3006 Previous topic | Next topic