Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2149

Subject: "My business" Previous topic | Next topic
eshields1014Tue Mar-04-08 12:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My business"

Hi everyone. My name is Erin and I am starting a dog treat business. Everyone that I have told my idea to thinks that is is a great idea. I have also looked and it seems to be a very high demand business. People these days treats there pets like children. They only buy there pets the best in everything from food, treats, and toys.

I am kind of at a dead end wall in all aspects of the business. I have all this great advice and feedback from everyone. But all of ths sudden I am starting to think that even thoough it is a business in high demand right now that I will not have a high enough or regualar customer base to make it worth my whilte.

I have tons of questions, and would like all sorts of opinions on many different things. I guess I am just looking for someone to talk business with, if you would like to help me out please E-mail me!!

I know my boyfriend and family can only take so much hearing about all of this.

Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing from you!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
This page is in overload mode.[View all]
Subthread pages: Top | 1 | 2 | 3

quietblissgirlMon Jun-09-08 12:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#16. "RE: My business"
In response to Reply # 0

I am new to the idea cafe but wanted to jump in. My dear friend owns a very successful dog bakery in Ohio and I have had the occasion to go to a LARGE pet industry trade show with her in Chicago a couple times. The pet industry seems to get bigger every year. Here are a few things that she seems to struggle with, even with the success she has worked so hard for in the past 3 years of having a brick and mortar location. (she worked out of her home for 2 years before that, just doing farmers markets, fairs, etc.)

1. for boutique items, you have to get VERY unique items because the big box stores will undersell you every time. Get the namebrand items that are guaranteed replaceable by the mfr, so you dont have to worry about losing money. (esp with collars and leashes, if you plan on selling stuff like that down the line.)

2. treats are a small per item product, so to cover your costs, you have to be able to get out there enough to sell enough - every weekend usually (until you have a storefront and employees). Get your name out there everywhere and anywhere you can.

3. double and triple check licensing requirements, because in her state, she has to be registered with the dept of agriculture to make and sell dog treats! many "would be competitors" were closed down asap because they did not do proper registrations beforehand

4. love love love the puppies. the one thing that makes her most successful is that her love of dogs shines through in everything she does. She gives back all the time, donating time and $ to many animal groups in her area. Every event she runs, and she runs about 6-8 a year, she give a generous portion to charity. This puts her in the papers all the time and builds a great repoire within the animal community.

One last thing. She still loves going to work every day. She started it in her kitchen and now has her own store and about 6 employees. Go for it and dont look back!

Replies to this subthread
RE: My business, eshields1014, Jun 09th 2008, #18
RE: My business, thomascap, Jun 27th 2008, #19
RE: My business, eshields1014, Jun 29th 2008, #20
RE: My business, thomascap, Jun 29th 2008, #21

eshields1014Mon Jun-09-08 05:35 PM

#18. "RE: My business"
In response to Reply # 16

hi there thanks for the advice, i dont have to req with the food and drug or anything i have checked all that and as i said before the county that i am in we do not need a licesnse i dont really want employees i want to work out of my home or someday my own shop around my house...but yeah love for dogs is for sure there love them to death just having problem getting the word out there and getting customers i am thinking maybe i should make some changes....

thomascapFri Jun-27-08 01:11 PM

#19. "RE: My business"

Very good idea.In another post,i said for one to start a new business with pets,you should try to love the pets and then you will find wht the pets owner need you to offer.I would like to talk with you for more information about this.

Thomas ---a pets clothes supplier
thomascap@vip.sina.com

eshields1014Sun Jun-29-08 06:04 AM

#20. "RE: My business"
In response to Reply # 19

Thomas what is it that you would like to talk more about? Yeah I have a dog of my own and i love him more than the world he is my baby

thomascapSun Jun-29-08 12:18 PM

#21. "RE: My business"

Yes,i agree with you.If you have business with pets,you shold find every way to love puppies everywhere at any time.I have a factory which produce dog clothes and accessories round year.You can contact with me to get cheap and good quality dog clothes.

Good luck.

Thomas Jiang
thomascap@vip.sina.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2149 Previous topic | Next topic