Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: My business
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2149&mesg_id=2577
2577, RE: My business
Posted by quietblissgirl, Mon Jun-09-08 12:47 PM
I am new to the idea cafe but wanted to jump in. My dear friend owns a very successful dog bakery in Ohio and I have had the occasion to go to a LARGE pet industry trade show with her in Chicago a couple times. The pet industry seems to get bigger every year. Here are a few things that she seems to struggle with, even with the success she has worked so hard for in the past 3 years of having a brick and mortar location. (she worked out of her home for 2 years before that, just doing farmers markets, fairs, etc.)

1. for boutique items, you have to get VERY unique items because the big box stores will undersell you every time. Get the namebrand items that are guaranteed replaceable by the mfr, so you dont have to worry about losing money. (esp with collars and leashes, if you plan on selling stuff like that down the line.)

2. treats are a small per item product, so to cover your costs, you have to be able to get out there enough to sell enough - every weekend usually (until you have a storefront and employees). Get your name out there everywhere and anywhere you can.

3. double and triple check licensing requirements, because in her state, she has to be registered with the dept of agriculture to make and sell dog treats! many "would be competitors" were closed down asap because they did not do proper registrations beforehand

4. love love love the puppies. the one thing that makes her most successful is that her love of dogs shines through in everything she does. She gives back all the time, donating time and $ to many animal groups in her area. Every event she runs, and she runs about 6-8 a year, she give a generous portion to charity. This puts her in the papers all the time and builds a great repoire within the animal community.

One last thing. She still loves going to work every day. She started it in her kitchen and now has her own store and about 6 employees. Go for it and dont look back!