Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1402

Subject: "Database Design/Management Company" Previous topic | Next topic
tricoe737Tue Jul-10-07 03:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Database Design/Management Company"

I am currently a resource planner for a large corporation and also develop departmental databases as well. A couple of my fellow employees and I were thinking about starting a database management company on the side. I have a name. I am working with the small business develop center at a local college, but I am at a loss on getting my first client. We have discussed the possibility of doing some "pro-bono" work but even then, I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get out there and cut out teeth??? This is a very skilled group of people and we do this type of work every day so it is not for lack of knowledge or skill that we haven't gotten a client but rather a lack of direction. HELP!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Database Design/Management Company
Jul 11th 2007
Jul 14th 2007
Aug 01st 2007

PepperfireWed Jul-11-07 06:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Database Design/Management Company"
In response to Reply # 0

Your lack of direction tells me that you don't have a business plan.

That would be the first place to start. Once you have that, you have a roadmap.

Have you deciphered who your target customers are? That will also help give you direction. The better defined your customer, the easier it will be to go find them.

You can get information in the small biz center to help you with your business plan.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

hostingdivaSat Jul-14-07 08:37 AM

#2. "RE: Database Design/Management Company"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-14-07 08:43 AM by hostingdiva

I agree with the previous poster - you need a business plan. Or at least look at the questions that you typically ask yourself when starting your own business. Not sure what these are? Check out your states's small business development website (every state has one) and they will generally have a list of great questions to ask.

One thing that came to mind for me - you're doing this for a living now right? Why hasn't your company outsourced the work? Not in the sense that they should fire you but in the sense of what is a benefit to them to have the work done outside the firm? This is something you'll have to answer to companies that you approach....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

tamaralysterWed Aug-01-07 01:57 PM

#3. "RE: Database Design/Management Company"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't stress enough how important it is to build a strategic business plan before you officially launch any business. This will give you direction, focus and just as Tina pointed out, a roadmap to success.

Once you have established your target market and defined a suitable marketing plan you will be much better prepared to take the steps towards gaining clients.

Good luck with your business and if you have any questions about compiling your business plan then just ask.

Regards,

Tamara

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1402 Previous topic | Next topic