Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1164

Subject: "Cleaning service" Previous topic | Next topic
jk1241Sat May-12-07 06:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cleaning service"

I live in the suburbs, population 200,000 and I would like to clean vacant apartments/rentals. I got to thinking about this when I saw 2-3 new apartment complexes under construction in my area (2-3 mile radius of me) and the idea came to me to research this. I am a hardworker and I would appreciate advice on this business. Thanks, Kam

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Cleaning service
May 13th 2007
May 13th 2007
May 29th 2007
May 15th 2007
May 15th 2007
May 16th 2007
Jun 05th 2007

Brian_VaSun May-13-07 01:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 0

kam,

You will be glad to know that this is a good field (stable and solid). You need to talk to realtor's who pay to have this done. Most apt complexes have their own staff do in house work.

jk1241Sun May-13-07 11:23 AM

#2. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 1

Brian,
Thanks for your response. I had heard that most apartment complexes have their own in-house cleaning staff. I will approach realtors with my business. It is a lot homes in my area for sale (new and old).

Thanks,
Kam

virtualwhispersTue May-29-07 05:59 PM

#6. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 1

Try getting one of those little apartment books that you see
in the big grocery stores. All the apartments listed in them
have their fax numbers there.

Make up a flyer of your business saying what you do with your
phone number, and fax it to them. See if you get any calls back.

Real world businesses you can start for under $50. Step-by-step instructions to start quickly and for the least amount of money.
http://makemoneyalert.com/ccaff/ccwslesley.html

lewgard08Tue May-15-07 07:13 AM

#3. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 0

How about contacting home builders ? While I know the home building industry has slowed drasticly (I worked for one such company, in Michigan, until very recently), many do hire outside companies to clean their model homes and their spec. homes on a weekly basis.

KLewis
www.ewomanweb.com
Resources for women who want to start a home based business.

jk1241Tue May-15-07 11:05 AM

#4. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 3

KLewis,
Thanks for yor advice. That's true the home building industry has slowed down. However, it never hurts to try. Did you have a cleaning service? Would you share how you went about contacting the builders? Thanks, Kam

lewgard08Wed May-16-07 06:08 AM

#5. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 4

Hi jk1241,

No, I worked in acounting for a home builder. Part of my job consisted of comparing the contracted quotes to the actual expense, working closly with the contracting/purchasing dept. Even though the home building industry has slowed, they still have their models and specs. cleaned weekly.

My suggestion would be to either contact the Purchasing Dept. of home builders in your area and send them a quote, outlining the service you would provide (window cleaning (very important), vacuuming, carpet cleaning where necessary, clean-up of debris left over from recent construction of a spec. home...) or personally introduce yourself to the Sales Rep., who will typically have an office in the the model home, and provide him/her with a brochure or post card of your service. The Purchasing Department heads really do listen to the Sales Reps as the Sales Reps are the ones who see the models & specs. every day. They expect a good company to do the job to their expectations. After all, first impressions are lasting.

Many newly constructed single-family developments have at least two spec homes and a model. Condominium developments have several spec "units" and a model. This could really add-up. I wish you the best of luck!

KLewis
www.ewomanweb.com
Resources for women who want to start a home based business.

ZeroGCreativeTue Jun-05-07 01:25 PM

#7. "RE: Cleaning service"
In response to Reply # 5

As a former new home sales rep for Ryan Homes, part of NVR Inc...one the top 10 largest homebuilders in the country (just quit in Feb)...all the major homebuilders are divided up into divisions...for example Virginia where I worked, we had 6 divisions in Northern Virginia...each division controls all their sub contractors...everything is done on division level. So you will need to contact the SALES MANAGER of each division. They are in charge along with the reps to keep the models and specs a perfect 11!!

The also hire different cleaning services for different communities. Keep in mind that it will take you a good 4-5 hours to clean a large 3000sq ft model home by yourself....and we never hesitated to complain when the job was not done perfectly. We used local people...some were a one person shop. You must be licensed, bonded, and insured for them to even consider you.

Go to the different communities and get the sales manager's name and number from the rep. Call the manager directly...they will not give you the direct line, just the main line though. Also, ask where the division office is and drop by your information. Don't go on Monday or Tuesday mornings...that is when they have sales meetings. Also, find out what other communities are in their division so you don't waste your time visiting every community.

You need to compete on price. Homebuilders are drastically trying to cut costs, so if you can do it cheaper than their current cleaner, you have a good shot at the contract.

Be persistent...Sales managers are extremly busy and if you follow-up with them alot...they will look at that in a way! Great sales people always have great follow!!

Also keep in mind that you will be cleaning at night...after 6pm when the models close. They will NEVER let you begin cleaning until business hours are done! Also, you will be asked to come in for non-regular cleanings- before big events, before upper management inspections (what we call Shiny Face) so you will have to be flexible. Because if you say you can't come in for that non-regular cleaning...they won't be asking you to come back.

Give it a try, I think you have a great shot!!!

Jen Dudley
www.zerogcreative.com
Whether you need a new logo, business card, brochure or web site, Zero-G delivers incredible results at an affordable price. When it comes to your business, reach for the stars? Not your wallet.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1164 Previous topic | Next topic