Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #913

Subject: "Writing a book - have a couple of questions please..." Previous topic | Next topic
txbugabooThu Sep-06-07 07:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Writing a book - have a couple of questions please..."

I am a mom of 6 young kids, we moved to the city we currently live in not too long ago. When we did, I, for the life of me, could not find things around here to do with the kids. I came up with the idea of a book, geared specifically towards our county (& a bit beyond) that has things like good places for kids parties, parks in the area, seasonal events like county fairs, kid-friendly restaurants, etc.

I have considered attempting to get it published, but that is such a long shot, especially considering that my book would be so localized to one specific area. What I did think of doing is to "market" it to schools, daycares, etc. as a fundraiser for them. (i.e. They buy the book from me for $5, they turn around and sell it for $10. They make a $5 profit on each book sold.)

I'd prefer to go the fundraiser route, because my book will be a very basic book in black & white - no frills, etc. My Dad, an artist, is going to do any illustrations I need, etc.

Hopefully, someone out here is a little bit knowledgeable about how these things work. My questions are:

I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I want this book to be a real basic book - like I said above - with no frills, just details. I've seen books before that looked like the person made them theirselves with a spiral binding machine, had it printed out at Kinko's, etc. That seems the easiest route to go.

> What all, legally, do I need to do to get this done?

> How do I get my book copyrighted?

> What is a ISBN # & a Library of Congress Catalog Card # - and how
do I get them?

> As far as the fundraising goes - would I print up a bunch of books
ahead of time and have the kids just sell them door to door? Or
have the kids have one copy with them, show it to the people, take
orders and deliver them at a later date? Although the second idea
seems the most cost effective, it just seems to me that people
would be more likely to buy it if they could get it right then and
there. What do you think?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Writing a book - have a couple of questions please...
Sep 06th 2007
RE: Writing a book - have a couple of questions please...
Sep 13th 2007

PiperTaxThu Sep-06-07 03:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Writing a book - have a couple of questions please..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-06-07 03:33 PM by PiperTax

My suggestion: look into self-publishing. You can get a book published for very little start-up cost using Print on Demand technology.

For instance, my tax guide cost me:
$50 for ISBN
$150 for cover design (free for you, since you're fortunate enough to know somebody with skills in this area)
$67 printing set-up cost.

And for that price, it's going to be available on Amazon, like every other book out there. I get to set the price, and my profit margin is a little over 50%.

I'd suggest buying Aaron Shepard's Aiming at Amazon for more information about how to go through the process.

To answer your specific questions:
1. You are likely to be required to have a business license for your city or county. Just look around a little bit on Google.
2. Your book is automatically copyrighted from the moment you write it. If you choose, you can register that copyright with the federal government, but it's not entirely necessary.
3. An ISBN is simply an identification # for a book. If you want to be sold through Amazon or at bookstores, you'll need one. If you want to simply find a printing company, have your book printed, and sell it yourself, you won't need one. You can buy one at Lulu.com for $50.

Hope this helps,
Mike Piper

Tax Guide for Sole Proprietors/LLC Owners: http://www.pipertax.com/content/view/36/46/

CyberHostThu Sep-13-07 07:03 AM

#2. "RE: Writing a book - have a couple of questions please..."
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Mark,

Your book sounds great, but couldn't get anything to come up from the link.
Let us know if/when we can access your guide.

Cyberhost at Idea CafeThe Fun Place for Serious Business(sm)

Lobby Startup Stew topic #913 Previous topic | Next topic