Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1336

Subject: "distributing promotional materials" Previous topic | Next topic
rebecca676Wed Jun-18-08 12:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"distributing promotional materials"

I know that it is illegal to put anything in a person's mailbox, but what about leaving business cards, postcards, or any type of promotional material on someone's doorstep? If it is legal is it a good idea or just annoying?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: distributing promotional materials
Jun 20th 2008
Jun 22nd 2008
Jun 25th 2008
MAIL IT
Jun 22nd 2008
RE: MAIL IT
Jun 25th 2008
Jun 25th 2008
Jun 26th 2008
Jun 26th 2008
Jun 27th 2008
Jun 28th 2008
Jun 28th 2008
Jun 30th 2008

SjonesFri Jun-20-08 10:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't speak to what is legal or illegal, but I can say that we have companies leave stuff in our neighborhood all the time. Some will place their business cards at our front door, some use door hangers with items inside. Some have dropped their business cards on our driveway in a small plastic bag with some rocks in it to keep it from flying away.

We even had a new Cleaners start in our neighborhood and they went around and dropped off really nice vinyl bags with their business card stating that they were offering a pick-up service and all we had to do was put our items in their bag on a certain day and they would take care of the rest.

I don't know if I have answered your question, but I did want to share that many companies do promote their services by putting business cards, etc. at the front door, by the mailbox and also on the driveway.

What I can't tell you (which I know there are great minds that respond in this forum, that can) is the ROI any of these company received using that format of getting the word out.

Good luck

DBeaversSun Jun-22-08 05:31 AM

#2. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 0

Rebecca,

Distributing advertising door-to-door is often controlled by state, county, municipal, or neighborhood laws and/or restrictions. So the real answer to your question would be whether it is acceptable (legal) in your community and even the specific subdivisions and neighborhoods. Many larger cities now have gated communities, that even when the gates are left open during daylight hours, no door-to-door soliciting is allowed. In some cases that could even include simply leaving the materials without knocking or ringing a bell.

So, to find out, you need to ask your question specifically to those who can answer it in your state and community.

If it is acceptable, on way to take advantage of the mail box is to have a magnetic calendar printed with your advertising on it. Many of the mailboxes (as well as doors or storm doors as an alternative) will have iron or steel parts that the magnet will cling to. In some cases, you might print up a tri-fold brochure about your business and use the magnet to hold it in place.

Some entrepreneurs whose business includes home delivery or home services will try distributing to all the homes nearby, and if acceptable place a small sign in the yard of the home being serviced. It's a great way to let the satisfied client brag on you.

Hope this answer is helpful.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

rebecca676Wed Jun-25-08 06:31 AM

#5. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 2

I will stay away from gated communities.

I had no idea that it could be illegal to leave something on a doorstep, thanks for that info. I will definately do some more research before I start handing anything out.

tettegoucheSun Jun-22-08 01:20 PM

#3. "MAIL IT"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-22-08 01:21 PM by tettegouche

I have considered doing this with my business in the past. I have found that mailed post cards work the best. There are a lot of printing services out there on the web that allow you to create a professional postcard online and mail them out in bulk through them (you just upload your address list or purchase a list in xcel form. I have found this to be a less invasive way of getting materials to neighborhoods. Being a home owner, I find it very rude when I find marketing materials on my doorstep. Honestly, I usually through them away.

A postcard that has value on it, like a coupon with a $25+ value, is more likely to be kept by the customer when they go through their "junk" mail (you know we all get it). You have to give them a reason to keep the postcard. Seeing that is "worth" $25, $50 or whatever makes them stick is somewhere to use when they need it.

best!

HostRail.com

rebecca676Wed Jun-25-08 06:28 AM

#4. "RE: MAIL IT"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the input. I don't want to be annoying so I have decided to put the material on doorsteps so I am not disturbing anyone. Also, I want to include somethig useful. I was thinking that I would make up a little "goody bag" containing a postcard with some info on my company along with a note pad and/or pad of post-its with my logo on it. This way, the note pad will be laying around the house for a while, the person will see my logo on a regular basis, and hopefully will decide one day to at least look at my site.

DBeaversWed Jun-25-08 07:39 AM

#6. "RE: MAIL IT"
In response to Reply # 4

Rebecca,

let me know if I can help you with the scratch pads or Post-It(R) Notes. Those are just two of the half-million plus products I can put your business name and logo on.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.

rebecca676Thu Jun-26-08 06:01 AM

#7. "RE: MAIL IT"
In response to Reply # 6

Do you have a website?

DBeaversThu Jun-26-08 10:24 PM

#8. "RE: MAIL IT"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Jun-26-08 10:25 PM by DBeavers

Yes Rebecca,

www.CuttingEdgeAdv.com

and

www.CuttingEdgeAdvertising.com

Thanks for asking.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.

jswank02Fri Jun-27-08 03:44 AM

#9. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 0

You can not put anything in a mailbox no exceptions. You can put anything you want on a door etc. however if they have a no solicitation sign you can be find for leaving something.

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
www.jswank.com

potpourriSat Jun-28-08 05:00 AM

#10. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 0

That is one way to get your information out, but do you think it is worth the time? My thought is that you will be wasting a lot of your time that could be spent in a better for of advertising.

Do a little research and try to target more specific groups. One idea is if you are selling a product for retires, then try to get addresses from public records. Then you can mail your information.

Ocha

blog: http://www.potpourriemporium.com/blog

rebecca676Sat Jun-28-08 08:22 AM

#11. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 10

My target is females 18-35. I do realize that this would be time consuming, but I honestly never considered it to be a waste of time. I will think on it some more.

annalaurabrownMon Jun-30-08 11:51 AM

#12. "RE: distributing promotional materials"
In response to Reply # 11

I think you also really need to consider what it is you are promoting. Some items will get a better response than others. Why not instead try thinking about businesses that cater to your target audience and then seeing if some of these will agree to let you leave some promotional materials there for people to take in exchange for free product?
this could work much better.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1336 Previous topic | Next topic