Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #118

Subject: "I am completely ready.....now what???" Previous topic | Next topic
lesliepichardoMon Oct-16-06 10:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I am completely ready.....now what???"

Hey Everybody!

So, this is the deal. I have a newly established business. The name is First ID and we provide Children Identification Services by producing an identification card with photograph and fingerprints for parents to use should their child become missing. The idea is to reach a large amount of kids at the same time, through Public and Private Schools, Daycare, Churches and Fairs.
We have started by introducing ourselves through mail to the local schools and to the public school districts. But it seems no one is interested. Can somebody give me advice? Are we doing something wrong? Can we do something different? You can a have a complete idea of the biz by visiting our website http://www.firstidnj.com (it is still under construction, but almost done) would appreciate advices regarding the website as well.

Thanks.

Leslie
www.firstidnj.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I am completely ready.....now what???
Oct 16th 2006
Oct 16th 2006
Oct 16th 2006
Oct 16th 2006
Oct 17th 2006
Oct 17th 2006
                     great product
Oct 21st 2006
oRE: I am completely ready.....now what???
Oct 20th 2006

wwcap1Mon Oct-16-06 10:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 0

Well you might be facing competition from the "amber alert" system. Although new it is hard for you to compete with a local media blast when a child goes missing. Good idea, just not the right time, in my opinion.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com

lesliepichardoMon Oct-16-06 11:02 AM

#2. "RE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 1

Kent, Thank you for your reply...but No, I dont agree....see Amber Alert is in no way competition for my business since Amber Alert comes in effect after the child becomes missing whilst Firts ID is a proactive tool; "just in case missing" Please visit our website to catch the idea.

Yahoo seems to be experiencing some momentarily problems, and there is difficulty accesing the website, if you are experiencing problems accesing it please try it without the www. for the time being that is http://firstidnj.com

Keep up with comments.
Thanks.

Leslie
www.firstidnj.com

wwcap1Mon Oct-16-06 12:30 PM

#3. "RE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 2

Leslie: I did visit your web site and I understand that your's is pre-need. However, it just doesn't match up with the power of the amber alert system, which can be almost instantaneously immplemented when a child missing report is made. Now you may think that a parent will grab the cards they bought from you and start running all over the neighborhood -- but still.....

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com

lesliepichardoMon Oct-16-06 12:44 PM

#4. "RE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you very much for your comments, most likely I won't sleep tonight figuring a way to work around this.

Once again, thanks.

Leslie
www.firstidnj.com

fsboshoTue Oct-17-06 03:12 AM

#5. "RE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 4

Leslie,

As a parent of 3 children ages 1.5yrs, 3.5yrs and 10.5yrs I KNOW the need for a product like this. In fact the middle child is deaf (with the ability to hear through cochlear implants) but DOES NOT speak well at all. If she were to get lost in the store or even in the neighborhood, she could not tell your her name or her parent's names. With that said, I want something on her person that has her name, address, parent's info and home and cell #'s.

Yes, it is a very viable business. Just continue to market to schools and daycare centers. Try to hook up with the PTA and use it as a fundraiser (donate some proceeds to the PTA or daycare).

I've even thought about creating some type of tag (metal or fabric) that can be imprinted with this info to attach their shoes or zipper...just my thoughts.

Hope this helps,

Shawn
President
Essential Home Solutions, Inc.
www.essential-home.com

lesliepichardoTue Oct-17-06 12:54 PM

#6. "RE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 5

Thank you Shawn for your opinion. While I was doing research I believe I spotted something more or less like what you described for your middle one, I will look it up again and send you the info.

Regards,

Leslie
www.firstidnj.com

magicalmoneySat Oct-21-06 11:18 AM

#8. "great product"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi there,

I really feel this is a great thing you are doing. Just continue with it, I am sure people will be happy there is someone like you out here that wants to help and its definitely beautiful.

I hope you can help lots of people. People like you are needed.

lots of love,
barbara

"Only losers buy Leads"

http://www.payitforward4profits.com/magicalmoney

bizdevFri Oct-20-06 04:36 AM

#7. "oRE: I am completely ready.....now what???"
In response to Reply # 0

Another way to get the word out about your business is to use a press release. I give that advice all the time because it is such a powerfull and effective tool. And it's FREE.

If you write up a good press release and send it out to newspapers, local media and to prweb.com you will be amazed at the results. Even if just one newspaper uses it, it will be seen by others and may lead to more exposure.

Marcia Yudkin has a great book that tells you how to generate free publicity.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

Lobby Startup Stew topic #118 Previous topic | Next topic