Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #241

Subject: "Free Office" Previous topic | Next topic
PhanntomWed Apr-09-08 06:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Free Office"

Recently we bought 2 new laptops at the office. They came with Windows Vista...the laptop is fine but when I was told I was going to have to buy MS Office over again for Vista I couldn't believe it. I put it off for a couple months using my old laptop until the other day. I stumbled across the Sun Microsystems website where they are offering an open-source version. It's called OPEN OFFICE and looks pretty much like MS Office and more importantly works like it...but rather than having to spend $399 additional per laptop, it was free.

It's one of several open-source projects the geeks work on for the industry as a whole. If you want to check it out the site is www.openoffice.org. It's run by Sun Micosystems that for those of you not familar with them are the developers/providers of Sun Java.

In searching for it I came across several other sites offering it as well but they wanted $9.95 for it, which it's certainly worth but I just didn't want to fool around ording with a credit card etc. From the Sun site it's not shareware, it's a full version. Instead of the Word part being called Word, it's called Writing, the spreadsheet is call Calc etc. Afterall, you can't knock off Microsofts TM's, I don't remember what PowerPoint is called or the other modules.

This is a square deal...I make nothing from it in any way, other than maybe the pride of knowing MS empire and bullying ways may get a little weaker.
Good luck
Denny

Denny

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

HelpMeITThu Apr-17-08 08:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Free Office"
In response to Reply # 0

For all the Mac users Neo Office works really good. We use it at some of the Schools I support www.neooffice.org

Good products.

Thanks
James

www.HelpMeIT.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #241 Previous topic | Next topic