Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ingredients
Topic subjectFree Office
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=241
241, Free Office
Posted by Phanntom, Wed Apr-09-08 06:03 PM
Recently we bought 2 new laptops at the office. They came with Windows Vista...the laptop is fine but when I was told I was going to have to buy MS Office over again for Vista I couldn't believe it. I put it off for a couple months using my old laptop until the other day. I stumbled across the Sun Microsystems website where they are offering an open-source version. It's called OPEN OFFICE and looks pretty much like MS Office and more importantly works like it...but rather than having to spend $399 additional per laptop, it was free.

It's one of several open-source projects the geeks work on for the industry as a whole. If you want to check it out the site is www.openoffice.org. It's run by Sun Micosystems that for those of you not familar with them are the developers/providers of Sun Java.

In searching for it I came across several other sites offering it as well but they wanted $9.95 for it, which it's certainly worth but I just didn't want to fool around ording with a credit card etc. From the Sun site it's not shareware, it's a full version. Instead of the Word part being called Word, it's called Writing, the spreadsheet is call Calc etc. Afterall, you can't knock off Microsofts TM's, I don't remember what PowerPoint is called or the other modules.

This is a square deal...I make nothing from it in any way, other than maybe the pride of knowing MS empire and bullying ways may get a little weaker.
Good luck
Denny
246, RE: Free Office
Posted by HelpMeIT, Thu Apr-17-08 08:08 PM
For all the Mac users Neo Office works really good. We use it at some of the Schools I support www.neooffice.org

Good products.

Thanks
James

www.HelpMeIT.com