Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #967

Subject: "How do you feel about life & business coaching?" Previous topic | Next topic
aliasjanedoeSun Mar-25-07 02:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How do you feel about life & business coaching?"

I am considering starting a part-time "coaching" business in a very small town. Because the town is so small, I think I should offer help in many areas and not limit myself to one. I was thinking of doing self-improvement stuff like "Change you life in 7 days," "Instant persuasion," and small business improvement stuff like marketing, managing, and fun stuff like dream interpretation, decision making through tarot. Any thoughts or helpful advise?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?
Apr 22nd 2007
Apr 24th 2007
Apr 25th 2007
Apr 29th 2007
Jul 14th 2007
Jul 16th 2007

SageSun Apr-22-07 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe you can start with doing seminars and small workshops on your topics to guage the interest. Then those students could be prospects for coaching if they want more personal and in depth help.

This way you can see if there is really interest in those topics. You could do all of the above, even the Dream Interpretation and Tarot ideas. Because they will all be separate seminars, it wouldn't matter if one person would be turned off by the other topics. Market them separately to their respective markets and just go from there.

iwsTue Apr-24-07 03:32 PM

#2. "RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you approach the business with the attitude of really wanting to help people, then you should do well. You may consider taking on a couple of clients and providing your services at "no charge" in exchange for some positive feedback.

Ocha

http://www.potpourriemporium.com
http://www.infoesource.com
Blog:
http://www.potpourriemporium.blogspot.com

PepperfireWed Apr-25-07 09:14 AM

#3. "RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am a member of several networking groups and among them there are varying levels of successful business and life coaches.

Some of them incorporate Tarot and dream interpretation and the like, others its strictly business and whereas the esoteric customers don't mind businessminded coaches, the businessminded customers are sometimes going to be put off by the esotecic coach. You will certainly have to decide who you want to market to before you decide on your coaching.

There are Certification groups for coaching, that you will want to be associated with, and you can google for those.

I wish you luck, and suggest that if you're living down by the river in a trailer, that you either move up or don't tell anyone where you live.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

StrategistSun Apr-29-07 10:09 PM

#4. "RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would say that you're trying to do too much at one time. Get known for something -- either the life or business part or what you want to do.

Generalists don't do well in small businesses.

Maria Marsala

Let me help you substantially grow your financial advisory business or nonprofit with P.E.P. Increase productivity, efficiency, and profit.

Learn more and get free tips at http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

corrieann67Sat Jul-14-07 06:05 PM

#5. "RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?"
In response to Reply # 0

This will be quick. For coaching I would recommend that you find your niche immediately. What are you most comfortable coaching individuals on? That should be the focus initially. See how it goes and then go from there. Also, find a certification program (check out the International Coaching Federations site for orgs that do this and are accredited). Even if you don't get full certification, the introductory training will help you with clients.

I am a coach and have been for several years. I started out as a career coach and now I am a holistic wellness coach. In all my years of coaching I have met one-on-one with clients physically with me twice, and that was only because they were in the area and wanted to meet me in person. All of my coaching happens over the phone with follow-up via email. You can live anywhere and do that, right? I now live in the Los Angeles area but I am making plans now of moving to a town of 11,000 in New Mexico - and I'll keep all of my clients and contact list. The only thing that will change is my physical location.

Good luck!
Corrie

tamaralysterMon Jul-16-07 12:29 PM

#6. "RE: How do you feel about life & business coaching?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi There,

Just to reiterate the great advice you have already been given, in order to build a successful business you must be able to prove your credibility by holding the appropriate qualifications and/or experience. What can you offer prospective clients so they feel safe in the knowledge that they are getting qualified help?

I also agree that offering new age services (dream interpretations and tarot) is not conducive with professional business and life coaching. Start small and introduce new services as your business grows.

Because of the fact that you live in a small town you will need to establish whether there will be a demand for a business coach. Will your charges be in line with your prospective clients income? Will they be able to afford your fees? Have you established your target market? How will you market your business to your target audience?

Ask yourself the above questions, take every aspect into consideration and start building your business plan.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #967 Previous topic | Next topic