Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #930

Subject: "New Idea. Do you think it would be a good one?" Previous topic | Next topic
cindalynnMon Mar-19-07 02:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Idea. Do you think it would be a good one?"

DO you think people would pay me to go visit a family member in a senior citizens home, I would talk with them, read to them, and if they are able I could play games with them. We (my husband and I) went to a senior home for our church to sing hymns to the seniors and I feel that a lot of them are lonely. I asked about volunteering to do this but the person I talked to said I would have to have permission from a family member. So I thought if the family member is too busy to visit, maybe they would hire someone to visit in their place that would show empathy.

Cinda Shevrovich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Idea. Do you think it would be a good one?
Mar 23rd 2007
Mar 28th 2007
Apr 06th 2007

PepperfireFri Mar-23-07 04:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: New Idea. Do you think it would be a good one?"
In response to Reply # 0

We live 45 minutes from where my husband's Grandmother (aged almost 105) lives. We are so busy that visiting her is on the edge of impossible, because the drive takes so much time, it's hard to find an afternoon where we can fit a visit in.

Unfortunately, the home doesn't make arrangements for her to make phone calls, and her sister won't bring a cell phone to her, my husband's mother can only rely on very unreliable us to bring a telephone to Granny so they can talk.

I would gladly pay someone to visit once a week to make this phone call happen.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

mktgideablogWed Mar-28-07 06:40 AM

#2. "RE: New Idea. Do you think it would be a good one?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cinda, your idea is very compassionate! I wonder if perhaps you could focus your marketing not on the "too busy to visit Grandma" angle... which might make some potential clients uncomfortable... but instead on a specific activity you would be paid to do on your visit such as reading to the elderly.

When my grandmother was in a nursing home, I visited her every week (she was very close by) and felt guilty about not doing it more often. If someone had said to me, "Don't have time to visit Granny? Let me do it on your behalf" - I would have denied that I was 'too busy' and would have made a self-promise to do it more often myself... and then, failing at that, would feel even worse. BUT - if someone had come to me and said, "I provide reading services to the elderly. Would you like me to stop by and read a magazine with your grandmother every week?" I think I might've felt better about the opportunity and might've been willing to pay for the service.

You will also want to have a discussion with the Director of the nursing home about your services, because chances are they will not give you their client list for marketing purposes. But, they could still be helpful in making your printed materials available to clients at the front desk or something like that.

Good luck - your heart is in the right place!

Janet
www.marketingideablog.com

allieFri Apr-06-07 03:52 PM

#3. "RE: New Idea. Do you think it would be a good one?"
In response to Reply # 2

I had my mother in law in a home. I visited her regularly as I had the time, but I saw so many elderly people alone it made me sad.

I have a friend that started a service called TLC. Her name is Tracy, this was short for Tracy's Loving Care.

I love the idea also. You can contact your business centre and get information. Mine had the information of age groups in our area, etc.

If you have the passion, you'll love it and so will they !!!
Good luck and God Bless!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #930 Previous topic | Next topic