Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4926

Subject: "Academy for Fine Arts" Previous topic | Next topic
Music TeacherSun Jan-13-13 02:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Academy for Fine Arts"

Hello! I am a music teacher, recently graduated, but with much former experience teaching children. Unfortunately there are very few music jobs available in the schools these days. Most art programs are being cut! But, in a way, that is good. The parents still want it for their children so they will go looking for it and should be willing to pay for it? So I would think...and hope.
I have tried, unsuccesfully to tutor and teach piano lessons in the past. I was successful with the students I had, but I did not pick up enough students to pay the bills. I stopped trying, and spent the next four years getting a degree...for what?
Anyways, if I could have it my way, I would prefer to teach one-on-one or in small groups and teach what I want and teach it my way, rather than be a slave to the public or private school system.
I would like to do this full-time, 35-40 hours per week, and on my own for now. Perhaps might round up some other unemployed college collegues and offer them a chance to teach as well, but only later, after I get established.
Well, anyway, I don't know how to even get started. My rental house is itty bitty and not even big enough for me, let alone using a room from it to teach from. I don't have any start up money, for I am already behind in my bills. I really don't want to borrow anymore money, I am indebted beyond belief from my college education. It really would cost me nothing to actually 'teach' my students. they would provide their own instruments, music stand, music, etc. I can't very well teach music in the public library. I have contacted the local community centers to try to work out something with them, but all they are willing to do is rent a room to me. (I just might have to go that route for now).
So the question I am supposed to be asking on this forum:
How do you get started when you are already stuck in the mud financially? How to you get students when you can't afford, initially, the business cards, or flyers, etc.?
I'm at a dead end trying to work for someone else, but have no means to get started on what I would much rather be doing anyways.
I can't get anyone to 'buy' into what I'm doing, because they have already dismissed me as 'improbable.'

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4926 Previous topic | Next topic