Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4795

Subject: "Looking for suggestions" Previous topic | Next topic
scorpion111466Sat Mar-24-12 04:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Looking for suggestions"

Just looking for some unique ideas for a home based business for me and my wife.

My wife's experience : Owned and operated her own daycare for the past 13 years. Has also done retail sales. Does sewing and scrapbooking as hobbies.

My experience : Managed restaurants for over 20 years. Have also worked as a tour guide, retail and warehouse manager. Experienced with video editing and website design.

Where we live : Live in a city on an island where tourism is big and the weather is mild all year round.

Any suggestions for a unique business idea taking our work history and skills into consideration. Much appreciated

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Looking for suggestions
Mar 26th 2012
Apr 24th 2012
Apr 27th 2012

DBeaversMon Mar-26-12 02:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Looking for suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0

Does that island you're on happen to be in the U.S.? If not, that may change some of the specific opportunities that are available to you. While any general career opportunity cam work in virtually any country in the world, some companies may limit their opportunity only to their country of origin, or a limited number of countries.

You should look for a company that will work with both of your strong points - A local business that appeals to either the general population of your island or to the business buyers there.

It would be even better, if the same business could be expanded through a website that you build, that will reach out to customers far beyond your local prospects.

While selling only on the island will make your business subject to the ups and downs of the economic cycle as well as any season fluctuations based on the impact that tourism has on your island economy, the internet-based business won't have the same ups and downs.

An online-only business won't be subject to the local economy, but you may find it harder or slower building online and having to develop the traffic to grow sales volume.

Promotional advertising could be a good option for both local and internet sales. The promotional products (custom-imprinted ink pens, t-shirts, coffee mugs, golf balls, screen-printed or embroidered caps, shirts, and jackets used as executive gifts, trade show handouts, employee and customer incentives, building brand recognition, and many other purposes.

Your options for starting a promotional advertising distributorship will depend at least in part whether you live in the U.S. ($18 Billion annual market), or elsewhere. I live in Louisiana, and can offer you assistance if you are also in the U.S.

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

GreatEnergyTue Apr-24-12 03:53 PM

#2. "RE: Looking for suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0

Food is the kind of business that never goes out of trend. I mean seriously, who does not enjoy eating? If your place is a tourism hotspot then probably you have too many competitors up to your neck! But what the heck! With your experience, I think you'll have a good chance about it! I would suggest to use your wife's D-I-Y skills to decorate your restaurant and give it a homey feel and a personal touch. It would also be great if you would learn about your competitors performance and it's customer's feedback so you would know what to offer and stand out!

nightskyFri Apr-27-12 01:58 AM

#3. "RE: Looking for suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0

To me... it seems that you already have your product. Your ability to edit video and design websites is a great product and business. Both of those would go very well in designing websites for small businesses. Websites today are using more video and there are many, many start-up businesses who need a smaller, mom & pop company who can build them a site for less that larger companies. Just on this site alone I have seen enough people wanting to start a business that they could probably be able to keep you as busy as you want.

You have the skills to do those things, and if your wife is as talented in the things that you mentioned... I'm sure that she could handle the other parts of running that business with you.

I don't know. It just seems that you have needed skills already, that are in high demand... why look for something else to do?

My two-cents worth.

Jeff S.
Night Sky Murals
Award Winning Murals

www.NightSkyMurals.com (Product)
www.DarkSkyMurals.biz (Business Opportunity)

Featured in...

* The Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine -
* Angies List
* in Affluent
* HGTV's show - "I Want That"

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4795 Previous topic | Next topic