Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4808

Subject: "Looking for advice" Previous topic | Next topic
Shell1027Sun Apr-29-12 08:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Looking for advice"

I live in a moderately large town and would love to open my own event and wedding planning business. I have done a lot of research and there is only two or three of this type of business in town. The closest one after that is over an hour away. Would this be a good thing to start out of my home and then once I am more established move into an actual office in town? Any advice is greatly welcom:-)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Looking for advice
Apr 16th 2012

GIRLinCALIMon Apr-16-12 04:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Looking for advice"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't see any reason not to. Many people I know started at home and grew to their own place of business. Just make sure you will be able to keep the pace if orders start pouring in. Maybe a family member or dear friend who is a stay-at-home mom could volunteer if needed. I have an idea that may be something that may work for you initially or not....

I own my own business, work-from-home. I wanted to let my neighborhood know that I sell home services: local long distance, natural gas, cable and many other home services and all through the major companies only at a much discounted rate (thanks to deregulation of utilities). So rather than go door to door selling my business I decided to do a "NEIGHBORHOOD DIRECTORY." It is a lot of work and much printing involved; yet, the pay off for me was fabulous. It works like this: I went door to door throughout my whole neighborhood (6 streets to be exact; both sides)and excitedly explained (excitement is key and contageous) that I am compliling a neighborhood directory. I am asking all my neighbors to be a part of it by listing what their profession is, business they might own, services a household member may offer (babysitting and $$ per hour) or maybe a couple that is retired and loves doing woodwork that could actually be a service for barter or extra money, or in my case a neighbor was retired and loved to do auto body work which he was incredibly good at and agreed to be put into my directory and offered his expertise at an incredibly hugely discounted rate because he was bored in retirement and what ever else a household may do; like cut hair etc). I think you get the idea. It took some time and money to make many many copies of my directory to take back to each and every house that gladly wanted to be listed. And of course on the back cover of my "directory" as well as in the list with all the other houses was my Business and what I offer. It worked great. So now if I need a haircut, or a helping hand with my yards, or car repair, I take out my directory and find the service right here in my neighborhood at a great price!!! I have had many homes call me wanting to know more about my competitive rates and turned them into my customers. You can too. Just a note: there should be a disclaimer within your directory that states all the people listed gave their sole permission to do so and even have several copies to have people sign just to cover you. And in the disclaimer state no one under 18 in any house is to be in the directory without parental signed consent. Good luck!

Crysta

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4808 Previous topic | Next topic