Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4066

Subject: "NEED EXPERT ADVICE..." Previous topic | Next topic
driventosucceedThu Nov-26-09 03:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NEED EXPERT ADVICE..."

Okay, so there is a successful dancewear and skatewear shop in my hometown. It's been in business for 30 years. MANY MANY people know about this shop. Well just last year the original owner sold the shop to a women who ran it down terribly. The original owners ended up suing her for financial reasons (she was 6 months late on payments)and the store is now closed to the public. I want to buy the business and get it back to where it was. The original owners are considering, however are very aprehensive because they think with todays economy, dance studio numbers declining, and where the store's reputation stands right now, they dont think its a good idea. They are concerned I will not make it and will have to worry about it again in a few years. With all that said, I WANT THIS so bad, but if you agree with them TELL ME or do you think I can try and win this business back. I'm willing to put some $ into it, make it MUCH MORE appealing to the eye and visit studios to let them know We're back!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: NEED EXPERT ADVICE...
Nov 28th 2009
Nov 29th 2009
Apr 10th 2010

annalaurabrownSat Nov-28-09 04:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: NEED EXPERT ADVICE..."
In response to Reply # 0

well it could work but here are some things to consider.

How much money will it really cost to get it going again and can you afford it? It will probably be more than you think.

How will you get it going again? You really need a specific business plan.

What kind of experience do you have with this sort of thing? If it is none or limited then I can understand why the owners are hesitant.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

hostingdivaSun Nov-29-09 07:50 AM

#2. "RE: NEED EXPERT ADVICE..."
In response to Reply # 0

Wanting it is not enough .. you have to be able to put the work into the business and know what you're doing.

You say that the person ran the business terribly. Why? What was she doing? How are you different? These are the things you must highlight to the current owners.

I'm also confused about how this works... if the woman purchased the business, then why are the old owners involved? Did they finance the purchase or something? Is this what they plan on doing with you?

Have you looked at the books and records? Have you had an independent accountant review the books and records to make sure you have a clear understanding of the financial position of the store?

I would do a thorough review of the business and then create a new business plan highlighting the current position and what you plan to do to change the business. Tell the owners that you realize that there is a chance you will not be successful but that your heart is in the right place. The best way to put them at ease is to show them that you've done your research and you have what it takes to be successful.

If they don't allow you to purchase the business, what will they do with it? What are their plans? You need to figure out their alternatives and show them that taking a risk on you is really their best option.

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

bloomingSat Apr-10-10 05:42 AM

#3. "RE: NEED EXPERT ADVICE..."
In response to Reply # 0

When buying or starting a business, you have to step back and remove the emotion..get down to the dollars and common sense of the business...because this is a different day than 30 years ago, you may want to do something similar, but with many changes to make it viable for today..such as incorporate some dance classes and clothing in with another business that the 2 would feed off each other...and is it more afforable to start your own than to buy a bad reputation...
jean info@thebridalbiz.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4066 Previous topic | Next topic