Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2363

Subject: "Help needed" Previous topic | Next topic
jiffybabyFri Apr-18-08 04:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help needed"

Hi all. I really need peoples advice please. I own a small cafe (greasy spoon) but it is really struggling at present. I have lost alot of customer within the last 6 months (dont know why) and my profits are going down fast. It is costing to open my shop at the minute. Please if anyone has any ideas on how i can increase profits, get new customers etc.

I am getting desperate no

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help needed
Apr 18th 2008
Apr 18th 2008
Apr 18th 2008

PhanntomFri Apr-18-08 08:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Jiffy,
You don't say how long you've owned it...if you just purchased it, there's always the risk of lost business with an ownership change. On the other hand, if you've owned it all along, you've got to figure out why you're losing business ASAP. What have you changed? Food quality, menu items, help, prices...any or all of these things could play into it. Has a competitor opened recently near you. Or, more likely, are just subject to a weak economy. As people get squeezed financially, they will rein in discretionary spending and eating out is usually a choice.

If you know the customers that have stopped coming try to ask them why they stopped coming? I'm only assuming here, but I'll bet many will tell you they can't afford to eat out like they once did.
Good luck
Denny

Denny

jiffybabyFri Apr-18-08 10:36 AM

#2. "RE: Help needed"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for your response Denny. To answer your question I have owned it for approx 4 years and up until 1 year ago I was working there daily, However I now only work 3 days out of 7. Since this change i have noticed a decrease in profits weekly. There is no competition and no other changes??

PhanntomFri Apr-18-08 05:38 PM

#3. "RE: Help needed"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Jiffy,

There you have your short answer. It's probably a safe bet to say that either the food quality or customer service suffers on the days you don't work there. Restaurants are by nature are very fickle businesses. In fact that's one reason banks hate loaning money for them. There aren't that many businesses that will survive over the long haul with an absentee owner. Employees will never care about a business the way an owner does.

Also, don't rule out the possiblity of theft. No business owner wants to think their employees are less than honest, but without the owner there daily, it's tempting fate.

You'll probably have to start working regularly again and try to build it back up again. I say try because it can be more difficult to win back a customer that left over disatisfaction than it is to gain a new one. I hope this works out for you...
Good luck
Denny

Denny

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2363 Previous topic | Next topic