Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2086

Subject: "Asking for opinions on the viability of "Senior Check In Services"" Previous topic | Next topic
mytell39Tue Feb-19-08 02:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Asking for opinions on the viability of "Senior Check In Services""

After caring for relatives that had to be put in nursing homes and having worked as a nurse's aide and observing that the level of care a resident receives is largely contingent on how regularly they received visitors, I was wondering if a Senior Facilities Check-in Service would be a good business to start. I know for a fact that mistreatment is rampant in even the best and unless patients are known to have regular, "random visits", (as opposed to having someone come the same time after work, or on a Sunday afternoon).
The main purpose would be making random visits to nursing care facilities to check on the quality of care a resident(ie, are they bathed, properly dressed, turned, engaged in activities, etc_, but additionally offer assistance to the resident with any needs they might have.
Also seniors need mentally stimulating activities to keep sharp-aside from bingo and other group activities, most nursing homes do little to individually attend to patients needs. I would also include one on one visiting time w activities and errand services, which I think could help out busy families that do visit regularly, but might find it hard to run errands for their family member.
With many families both working and raising kids while having a older parent to attend to, I think there is and will continue to be a market for this kind of service.
I would really appreciate honest opinions on this idea. Do you see a need for this, or do you think most families would just try to force the facility itself to provide all needed services? Also any suggestions on pricing. Thanks in Advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

hcdjlj7Sat Mar-01-08 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Asking for opinions on the viability of "Senior Check In Services""
In response to Reply # 0

Hello,
I think your idea has more than merrit it has heart and that is what will make it successful! You might not make millions right off but your piece of mind is worth far more than that. One way to get started might be to actually work backwards. Someone once told me the best way to change a thing is from the inside out. Find the best facility available. Market your service as way for them to reassure their clients at least the errand part of it. Even the best facility cannot possibly do it all. Once a client is established then you can offer a facility report as an additional service. As for your rates find out from your local Social Secuirity office or medical office what they pay for a home health aid. At the bare minimum you would at least be breaking even until you were well established.

A second avenue might be through the hospital itself. Many families get the news about their elderly family members needing care there and need the service of knowing how to proceed. Advertising or even offering a class on what your service could provide a person facing that decision might be an open door. The senior citizen center may be another avenue. Making yourself available to hear their concerns in addition to what you have seen for yourself may provide the right connection to get the ball rolling in the necessary direction.
My mother is 71 and going through several changes. As long as she can be independent I want her to be. I am aware though that there may come a time when she can't be and my household might not be the best spot for her. I am eager to see how well things work for you.Good Luck and keep us posted on how things are going!
Holly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2086 Previous topic | Next topic