Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1846

Subject: "Business idea - giving back........thoughts??" Previous topic | Next topic
bwacFri Nov-09-07 07:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Business idea - giving back........thoughts??"

I'm working on a business idea that I've had for some time. I've started a few other businesses in the past and I've had some success, but this is a business that I really believe can do great. I guess the real difference is that I really believe in this idea, not as a business, but as a philosiphy I guess.

Simply put, the idea is to bring businesses together to try and make a big impact in our local community. Here's the gist of it:

Local businesses are supported by local customers who shop with them

Because of this, local businesses should try to give back to their community

When businesses give back to the community, not only does the community benefit, but they are more apt to continue to support those businesses

My hope is to find businesses locally who will give $100 per month. At first, 50% of this money will go directly to local charities and benevolent organizations.

25% will go to get the word out that these businesses care about the commuity and are actually doing something to make a difference. The last 25% will go towards operating costs (salaries, lit. printing, etc.)

Eventually, 80% of all that is given will go directly to charities with only 20% being used for marketing and operating expenses.

I don't want to go too long (too late I guess) but I'd like to hear what you think of this idea. I've set up a basic web page that explains everything. (http://www.businesswithacause.com) - I look forward to your input.

Thank you!
Roddy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Business idea - giving back........thoughts??
Nov 10th 2007
Nov 28th 2007
Nov 30th 2007

achievedisplaySat Nov-10-07 05:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Business idea - giving back........thoughts??"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it is a great idea. Hiring or being a great PR person would probably be the best catalyst for it - someone who understands free press. There was a phone company - Nextel I think - they set up calling centers in Iraq and locally so that soldiers could talk to their families. In the process they got a bunch of press. I believe they did the same thing with a Santa Claus phone line around christmas. The idea though is to get free advertising by doing something the community would be interested in.

If an association with your company would do this automatically, I think it would work. It would also allow smaller companies to get in on the love, because of time and money constraints, it would be easier to "outsource" this. It kind of seems that is what you are doing - outsourcing goodwill. The question is - why should companies give money to you, so that you can decide where it should go? Somewhere along the way, I think you have to find a way to add value and avoid becoming "The Empororer's New Charity".

I wish you the best - Great Idea

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

GRSloganbakerWed Nov-28-07 03:35 AM

#2. "RE: Business idea - giving back........thoughts??"
In response to Reply # 0

Is this to be a national organization or just in Lubbock TX?

It sounds like you are trying to copy Rotary, Kiwannis(?), or Town & Gown on some level, they are all organizations who's purpose is to support the community. We need to find what makes yours special?

Logan Baker
http://www.goldenrulesigns.com

bwacFri Nov-30-07 08:02 PM

#3. "RE: Business idea - giving back........thoughts??"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Nov-30-07 08:04 PM by bwac

I had heard of those organizations but didn't really know what they did until I began working on this idea. My goal with this group is to financially support programs that work with children, victims of abuse, terminally ill, etc.. I am also planning to begin a program here in Lubbock called Not Me, Not Now, it's a program that began in 2001 to encourage teens to remain abstinent. Lubbock is in the top 3 for Teen pregnancies and STD's in Texas. I don't see anyone doing anything about it. I'd like to see Business With A Cause support that program.

I don't know alot about Rotary or Kiwanis and I haven't heard much about what they're doing in the community here. I want Business With A Cause to be very visible. I want local residents to know that businesses that are part of BWAC care about Lubbock and are doing something to help.

Ultimately, I believe that since local residents are what keep businesses going, we as business owners need to give something back.

On the other side of that coin, I believe that if local residents know that businesses are giving back to the community they're going to be more apt to keep supporting those businesses.

Thanks again for your post, sorry for rambling, I'm trying to get my head around what BWAC is really going to be focused on.

Any other thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

Roddy

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1846 Previous topic | Next topic