Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1774

Subject: "What Can I Do With My Skills?" Previous topic | Next topic
xxdhoomxxWed Oct-24-07 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What Can I Do With My Skills?"

Hi guys,
Thank you in advance for your help. My goal is to start a home based business. The reason is that I am an entreprenuer (and owned several businesses since I was 8 years old.) My businesses in the past have been just hobby businesses or just a way to make quick cash. But, at 27, and after a couple years of continuous corporate setting experience, I am now very serious about starting a solid, long term business. The thing is that I have bad credit and not too much money saved up. So, I figured that a low overhead, home based opportunity would be the best.

The only problem is that I have no idea what I can do with my skills:
-Customer Service (6+ years or B2C and B2B customer service)
-Collections (4 months and I was very successful)
-Inside Sales (2 years - mediocre success, not a big fan of it. But I think that was mostly because of poor management in the companies).
-Web Design (though pretty much out of it)
-Online retail business (owned a successful one 4 years ago, did my own web design and marketing)
-Retail store management (4 months)
-Good cook
-Friendly personality

Based on this,
I was thinking about a virtual assistant service or a collections agency? I'd like to gross around $8,000 a month.

Please help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?
Oct 25th 2007
Oct 25th 2007
Oct 29th 2007
Oct 29th 2007
Oct 26th 2007
Oct 29th 2007
Nov 01st 2007
Your skills are great for people like me.
Oct 27th 2007
Nov 08th 2007

PepperfireThu Oct-25-07 11:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you thought of opening a storefront with web support. Possibly a Fair Trade Cafe with local producer food products, gourmet grocery?

If you were near me, I'd practically be offering you a job.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

xxdhoomxxThu Oct-25-07 12:02 PM

#2. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Tina!
Thanks for the reply. To be completely honest, I would LOVE to get into something like fair trade or even maybe something that's environment friendly, something sustainable. However, there are a few problems I'd face. One, I have very little knowledge of that stuff. Second, I don't have that much cash. And third, isn't the compteition overwhelming in that field? I'm not sure but I'd think so?

Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of home industry also. The idea of simply having an online storefront is not so bad. But I still need money for inventory and the initial phases. Again, the costs would be too high...and with my credit, I'm not sure who would support me right now.

I know i'm just focusing on the negatives and that's not a good thing. But perhaps you know of solutions?

Fall seven times, stand up eight. - Japanese Saying.

PepperfireMon Oct-29-07 10:19 AM

#5. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 2

I think your best solution is to focus on the positive and figure out what it is that you want to do. Then, figure out how to go about doing it.

Your biggest obstacle seems to be money. The best way to eliminate this obstacle is to take the time to fix your bad credit, put some money away and then start. In the meantime, you can take that time to prepare your business and marketing plan, and, if necessary, find yourself a money partner.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

xxdhoomxxMon Oct-29-07 12:59 PM

#7. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 5

Thank you so much for inspiration and the guidance, Tina. I think at this point I want to start something that is low overhead and low initial financial risk. Eventually, however, I'd like to get into a "feel good" sort of a business.

DBeaversFri Oct-26-07 06:21 PM

#3. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 0

I could tell you that your skills match my business, but if I go into any detail, they'll just delete it again.

You might want to check out the wonderful world of promotional adverting .

Dennis Bevers
Sulphur, LA

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

xxdhoomxxMon Oct-29-07 12:58 PM

#6. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Dennis,
I read one of your other posts on the forum. Can you email me some info at raj.patel.2007@hotmail.com or if you have a website, I can look at that, too. Thanks

DBeaversThu Nov-01-07 07:54 PM

#8. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 6

Since you asked Raj, they may allow it to remain up.

My website is www.CuttingEdgeAdvertising.com

My business is selling promotional advertising as a self-employed Independent Agent for Kaeser and Blair, Inc.

This may or may not work for you, as K & B is focus on the U.S. market exclusively, and isn't accepting dealers outside the country. I've been selling for them since 1993, and wish I had found them sooner.

Dennis Bevers

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

tiffhannahSat Oct-27-07 03:34 AM

#4. "Your skills are great for people like me."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi....my name is Tiffany Hannah and I am fairly new to building websites although I have tried and currently still trying to accomplish a goal of building my own website for those who shop online I can;t seem to get it right.

I have a template and I would love to split monthly profits with you if all you want to make is around $8,000 a month. I written up a plan that will allow me to make about $200,000 a year.

That's a little more than $8,000 per month with room to grow. If you don;t mind I would love to see how we can do business together.

My email address is contactme@tiffanyhannah.com

I look foward to hearing from you.

Marketing7Thu Nov-08-07 05:33 AM

#9. "RE: What Can I Do With My Skills?"
In response to Reply # 0

You have a lot of exceptional skills that will allow you to start a very successful home based business.

Consider signing up on some of the websites that offer freelance work such as guru.com , elance.com and offer to provide services as a Virtual Assistant. Coaches are always seeking the services of Virtual Assistants so visit some of the coaching websites. Join a local Meetup.com group and start to network and market your services.

Wishing you success in your Home Based Business.

Marketing Moment

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1774 Previous topic | Next topic