Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1328

Subject: "Private non-profit school" Previous topic | Next topic
damianpcsWed Jun-20-07 04:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Private non-profit school"

Hi, I read an article on CNN today that says the graduation rate in parts of America is alarming, in the 35 % area. What obstacles would be in the way to building non profit schools that receive funding from government sources (local, federal)?
I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed now rather than later, and unfortunately I think private sector can do a better job at teaching students the tools they need for the real world. What is anyone's take on this? Feasible or not? Or if you know already of places implementing pilot programs

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Private non-profit school
Jun 21st 2007
Jun 22nd 2007
Jun 21st 2007
Jun 22nd 2007
Jun 22nd 2007

PepperfireThu Jun-21-07 05:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Private non-profit school"
In response to Reply # 0

Is opening a private school a feasible endeavour? I think it depends on who you can convince to sign their kids up to your school etc. If marketed correctly, and run right, any school will be profitable. And since there are so many parents out here dissatisfied with the mediocrity of the school system, yes, it's feasible. My daughter is currently taking classes through Calvertschool.org Is it profitable for the school administrators? I have no idea. Is it non-profit? Again, I have no idea, but I don't think so.

As for the school you suggest being non-profit... I'm not seeing how that is a draw to the parent sending his kid or not. What the school teaches, the core curriculum, how the school deals with marks and credits and whether or not it is accredited carried a lot more weight when we decided to send our daughter to this school.

Hope these thoughts are useful to you.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

damianpcsFri Jun-22-07 06:33 AM

#3. "RE: Private non-profit school"
In response to Reply # 1

Tina thanks for the response. The "non profit" wouldnt be a draw for parents but rather a way to receive alternative funding. Just brainstorming with supply and demand here I simplified it as this:

There is a problem with public schools in areas of the country

There is a demand to increase the graduation percentage from these areas - both from the families of these students and the country as a whole

There is a severe shortage of quality educational resources in these areas, or what supply is there isnt working.

So when I think large demand, and small supply, I think opportunity to fill that big gap. And where there is a will, there is most likely a way!

hostingdivaThu Jun-21-07 11:37 AM

#2. "RE: Private non-profit school"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you may want to look into Charter schools - those are non profit institutions.

Private schools are generally for profit especially if you're talking about the private sector being able to do it better. Keep in mind that if you're looking for the "private sector" to invest - they want a return on their investment and I don't see a bunch kids who are "at-risk" being able to provide a return on the investment. Private schools make money through catering to people with money....

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

damianpcsFri Jun-22-07 06:35 AM

#4. "RE: Private non-profit school"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the charter school tip. I guess youre right that private schools are usually marketing to families with money.
Damian

PepperfireFri Jun-22-07 07:31 AM

#5. "RE: Private non-profit school"
In response to Reply # 4

Or people who are willing to spend a little extra money to get a better education for their kids.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1328 Previous topic | Next topic