Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectPrivate non-profit school
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1328
1328, Private non-profit school
Posted by damianpcs, Wed Jun-20-07 04:22 AM
Hi, I read an article on CNN today that says the graduation rate in parts of America is alarming, in the 35 % area. What obstacles would be in the way to building non profit schools that receive funding from government sources (local, federal)?
I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed now rather than later, and unfortunately I think private sector can do a better job at teaching students the tools they need for the real world. What is anyone's take on this? Feasible or not? Or if you know already of places implementing pilot programs
1330, RE: Private non-profit school
Posted by Pepperfire, Thu Jun-21-07 05:03 AM
Is opening a private school a feasible endeavour? I think it depends on who you can convince to sign their kids up to your school etc. If marketed correctly, and run right, any school will be profitable. And since there are so many parents out here dissatisfied with the mediocrity of the school system, yes, it's feasible. My daughter is currently taking classes through Calvertschool.org Is it profitable for the school administrators? I have no idea. Is it non-profit? Again, I have no idea, but I don't think so.

As for the school you suggest being non-profit... I'm not seeing how that is a draw to the parent sending his kid or not. What the school teaches, the core curriculum, how the school deals with marks and credits and whether or not it is accredited carried a lot more weight when we decided to send our daughter to this school.

Hope these thoughts are useful to you.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!
1337, RE: Private non-profit school
Posted by damianpcs, Fri Jun-22-07 06:33 AM
Tina thanks for the response. The "non profit" wouldnt be a draw for parents but rather a way to receive alternative funding. Just brainstorming with supply and demand here I simplified it as this:

There is a problem with public schools in areas of the country

There is a demand to increase the graduation percentage from these areas - both from the families of these students and the country as a whole

There is a severe shortage of quality educational resources in these areas, or what supply is there isnt working.

So when I think large demand, and small supply, I think opportunity to fill that big gap. And where there is a will, there is most likely a way! ;-)
1335, RE: Private non-profit school
Posted by hostingdiva, Thu Jun-21-07 11:37 AM
I think you may want to look into Charter schools - those are non profit institutions.

Private schools are generally for profit especially if you're talking about the private sector being able to do it better. Keep in mind that if you're looking for the "private sector" to invest - they want a return on their investment and I don't see a bunch kids who are "at-risk" being able to provide a return on the investment. Private schools make money through catering to people with money....
1338, RE: Private non-profit school
Posted by damianpcs, Fri Jun-22-07 06:35 AM
Thanks for the charter school tip. I guess youre right that private schools are usually marketing to families with money.
Damian
1339, RE: Private non-profit school
Posted by Pepperfire, Fri Jun-22-07 07:31 AM
Or people who are willing to spend a little extra money to get a better education for their kids.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!