Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1276

Subject: "I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?" Previous topic | Next topic
jwensilMon Jun-11-07 03:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?"

All,

I have an awesome idea. This idea has the potential to make a very large sum of money. I have made the prototype and not one person whom I've showed hasn't liked it.

I would post it here, but I need to make sure that I'm fully protected on it. I have gone through the usual steps of taking pictures and writing up a description with what it is, how to make it and what it will be used for to myself.

Now with that said, this is something that will be marketed strictly to cigarette companies. I need to find out approx. how much a patent will cost (I think it varies depending on the type of invention?). Also, once that has been completed, it's not really something that I need investors for since it costs a fraction of a cent to make, however I need to know how to market to the large cigarette companies. I guess I'm trying to find out my next steps. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. And as always, a BIG thanks to Idea Cafe for this website!

Jonathan~
jwensil@yahoo.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?
Jun 13th 2007
Jun 13th 2007
Jun 18th 2007

bizdevWed Jun-13-07 09:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?"
In response to Reply # 0

A patent can cost several thousand dollars. The first thing to do is a patent search. You can hire a patent lawyer to do this. It will cost roughly $1500 just for the search. You can do the search yourself online. It is a tedious process, but doable. You are looking for anything similar to your idea that may already be patented. Here is the website:
http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

If you are able to obtain a patent you can work with a licensing agent who would be able to take your product to the cigarette companies.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

equiprepWed Jun-13-07 02:21 PM

#2. "RE: I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?"
In response to Reply # 0

Who would buy this product and what would it be used for?

Penny BallouMon Jun-18-07 05:02 AM

#3. "RE: I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jonathan,

Step 1 at this point is to get a formal prior art patent search to determine if you have something potentially patentable (nothing worse than paying to have a patent application written only to have it eventually Rejected during "Inspection and Review" at the patent office, eh?

Step 2 Assuming the "written" legal opinion accompanying the above search results (stacks of patents) indicates it is more likely than not a patent may issue in about three years form application filing date, one now gets a patent application written. Average cost starts at for something simple (assuming it qualifies for the strong Utility patent v. the weaker Design patent which would probably be cheaper to draft) as you've described: $2,500 + and there's formal patent-style drawings to accompany the application (in your case average cost about $450). You also need the patent office's Filing fee for the application/drawings. This year it rounds out to $500.

Step 2 is to find companies willing to entertain invention submissions and who will sign "your" Non Disclosure/Non Compete Agreement. Do not expect your proto to be returned so have "quality photos taken of the only one you've got sending them ONLY when they ask for them. Since you've indicated large tabacco companies are your target, you've an uphill jog ahead (higher up the food chain one travels the more likely they'll not accept outside submissions and definitely not sign NDAs). However, "you" will likely be required to sign "their" Non Confidential Agreement. Meaning, without a patent your only protection is hoping they'll do the right thing by you.

Step 3.... who knows if you'll get to it.

Regards
Penny Ballou (catch me at AllExperts.com in their Inventions/Patents/Licensing category) or contact me offline via any search engine (downloadable docs rejected).

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1276 Previous topic | Next topic