Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1276&mesg_id=1309
1309, RE: I have an incredible idea - What next? How to market to BIG company?
Posted by Penny Ballou, Mon Jun-18-07 05:02 AM
Hi Jonathan,

Step 1 at this point is to get a formal prior art patent search to determine if you have something potentially patentable (nothing worse than paying to have a patent application written only to have it eventually Rejected during "Inspection and Review" at the patent office, eh?

Step 2 Assuming the "written" legal opinion accompanying the above search results (stacks of patents) indicates it is more likely than not a patent may issue in about three years form application filing date, one now gets a patent application written. Average cost starts at for something simple (assuming it qualifies for the strong Utility patent v. the weaker Design patent which would probably be cheaper to draft) as you've described: $2,500 + and there's formal patent-style drawings to accompany the application (in your case average cost about $450). You also need the patent office's Filing fee for the application/drawings. This year it rounds out to $500.

Step 2 is to find companies willing to entertain invention submissions and who will sign "your" Non Disclosure/Non Compete Agreement. Do not expect your proto to be returned so have "quality photos taken of the only one you've got sending them ONLY when they ask for them. Since you've indicated large tabacco companies are your target, you've an uphill jog ahead (higher up the food chain one travels the more likely they'll not accept outside submissions and definitely not sign NDAs). However, "you" will likely be required to sign "their" Non Confidential Agreement. Meaning, without a patent your only protection is hoping they'll do the right thing by you.

Step 3.... who knows if you'll get to it.

Regards
Penny Ballou (catch me at AllExperts.com in their Inventions/Patents/Licensing category) or contact me offline via any search engine (downloadable docs rejected).