Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1225

Subject: "Finding the right business" Previous topic | Next topic
findingdetailsWed May-30-07 03:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Finding the right business"

I have been considering starting up my own business for a long time, the biggest obstacle I seem to face is figuring out what the right niche or business is for me. I am currently working in a job that has me floundering paycheck to paycheck and I am looking for an opportunity that allows me to get a head of the game, unfortunately with financial family obligations I have little or no extra income to contribute to a start up in addition to living in a small rural community I feel like my options are limited. I want to be sure I am pursuing the right opportunity for myself and my family.

I have worked in a variety of different office settings and I do believe an environment outside of my home would be the best given I have 3 small children at home. I have tossed around the idea of coffee/tea sales and or parties, a specialty shoppe, wedding or event planner, and medical billing (perhaps specializing in one or two target markets). I have experience with some medical billing a coding and I have worked with the public for as long as I can remember. Ideally I would love to have some type of retail store or shoppe, but finacially that is not feasible at the moment. I would love to have some additional ideas or suggestions for the "small town country girl in rural michigan". Please any suggestions would be welcome, I am ready to do something but I want to ensure the choice I make is the best one and if any one can offer me an idea I have not considered I would be very appreciative.
Thank you

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Finding the right business
Jun 18th 2007
I like your idea...
Jun 18th 2007
Jun 26th 2007
Jun 29th 2007
Jul 03rd 2007
Jul 12th 2007
Aug 05th 2007

luneibMon Jun-18-07 06:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Finding the right business"
In response to Reply # 0

I would say start out small, perhaps a lawn mowing service that undercuts the other guy's cost. You'll need a truck and something attached to the back to carry it, and have to market yourself which would be putting flyers in people's mailboxes and advertising in the local newspapers, like the free ones people get coming to their homes.

Other than that, all I can think of is a dog walking service.

lewgard08Mon Jun-18-07 07:09 AM

#2. "I like your idea..."
In response to Reply # 0

I really like your idea of starting a gym type business. Why not open a gym/fitness/activity center specifically for children? Now that school is out, and it is soooo hot in Michigan right now (I live near Lansing...93 degrees today), and children bore of the same-ol, same-ol I would think a fitness center that is focussed on fun fitness would be a great idea. I imagine there are some strict state and federal guidelines is you intend on operating similar to a daycare, but a fitness center is not a daycare. I would think there are a different set of rules and regulations.

Please keep us posted on what you come up with.

Kathleen
http://www.ewomanweb.com
Providing women with the tools and resources to work at home an start a home business.

sthomasTue Jun-26-07 09:44 AM

#3. "RE: Finding the right business"
In response to Reply # 0

May be this article on finding the right business (http://bizbrokerforum.com/blogs/deciding_the_right_business_for_you/archive/2007/06/11/136.aspx)
can give you a direction on finding a niche biz.

Good Luck!

http://www.acquireo.com

CurtisDFri Jun-29-07 06:32 AM

#4. "RE: Finding the right business"
In response to Reply # 0

I would agree that your idea of a gym isn't all that bad, however, where would you get the funding the build the gym? I would agree with the above poster in that it would be best to start off small while you consider your options.

Take the time to sit down and think about the things you are most passionate about, travel, giving advice/helping others/etc. What do you love to do most? You may surprised as to how you could actually make money with some of those things.

I recently helped write some marketing copy for a woman who has started a parenting coaching program where she holds weekly tele-seminars and has a website with a forum for questions, answers and a community for parents to talk to each other about problems they be experiencing.

This is just a small example of what is possible. You don't necessarily need a big brick and mortar store to be successful. If you sit down and think about your passions and the idea of the gym still excites you, then you can come back and we can give you more advice on ideas for funding, marketing the business, etc. But for now, I would just take some time to think about what you love and how you could possibly sell a product or service around that passion.

Good luck in your ventures,
Curtis

Discover the 95 year Old System
That Ignites Entrepreneurs Incomes
and Creates Customer Stampedes
Unlike Anything You?ve Seen Before?
http://www.smallbusinesscopywriter.com

rog37Tue Jul-03-07 10:45 PM

#5. "RE: Finding the right business"
In response to Reply # 0

As you obviously can operate a computer, you might want to look at something that I believe I will be making me $5k per month within 6 months? You could do this from anywhere in the world that you could get on a PC! NO..it's not at all technical. Everything is virtually done for you computer-wise.

Very low ($29) start up and with a man I have known for over 6 years.

Have a look at: http://www.thehbsgroup.com/lc/N1.mv and see what you think and get back to me at rog37@btinternet.com with any questions.

I have previously built teams of thousands on a number of occasions, simply by offering all the help I could.

If you join me, you will get all the help you will ever need to succeed.

Best wishes.

Roger

ctgincThu Jul-12-07 03:56 PM

#6. "RE: Finding the right business"
In response to Reply # 0

There are a lot of business opportunities out there and I think you should take your time and do what you enjoy! The best business, in my opinion, should be something you love to do or are very interested in. I also think think you are more likely to be successful in your business too. I say try everything, because thats what I did. I've tried many things and found something that I can be successful in. So, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Best Wishes
Custom Travel Group
www.customtravelgroup.com

Want a site like ours?
www.customtravelgroup.info

jinxmdSun Aug-05-07 11:52 AM

#7. "RE: Finding the right business"
In response to Reply # 0

Check this out.
http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=jinxmd

This might sound too good to be true, especially because it's FREE and easy. But you have to give it a chance. It's very real and it's based on a sound business model.

This new site I found, BigCrumbs.com, let's us save cash when shopping at places we already shop (think eBay, Gap, Old Navy, Circuit City, Target and more).

And, whenever anybody we refer shops, we get paid too--FOREVER.

Even better: Whenever anyone referred by our referrals shops, we can also get paid. Matter of fact, we can get paid on referrals up to 5 generations away.

It's not a pyramid because it's free and based on a real service that helps you save when shopping.

There's also no mystery to how it works. BigCrumbs.com is paid a marketing commission by retailers and they use that to pay cash back and referral commissions to us. Everyone wins.

Ok, so bottom line: I tell you about this site, you shop just like you usually do, and you save cash (you can thank me later). I also get a little cash for telling you about BigCrumbs.com. Of course, I'm telling you because I care about you, not for the cash.

Then, you tell more people and YOU get paid when they shop (and so do I). So, we can actually earn real cash each time thousands of people shop.

The sooner you join, the better. Just use the link below to check it out.

http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=jinxmd

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1225 Previous topic | Next topic