Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #835

Subject: "Starting inventory" Previous topic | Next topic
rebecca676Tue Jul-31-07 10:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Starting inventory"

I have agreements set up with several suppliers and am now in the process of selecting merch for my clothing store. I am having trouble with figuring how much inventory to start with. It would take me all of 5 seconds to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on inventory but don't have that kind of money. Does anyone know what a realistic starting inventory for an online clothing store is?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Starting inventory
Aug 01st 2007
Aug 02nd 2007
Aug 29th 2007

fishrangWed Aug-01-07 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Starting inventory"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you going to be stocking the inventory and shipping it yourself or do your suppliers dropship?

If your suppliers dropship, I would reccomend going that route. No worries of having to keep up with where to stock everything, plus their cost for dropshipping is usually far lower than what it would cost you to ship it yourself.

If they don't dropship, or you prefer not to go that route, I would say that how much inventory you stock really depends on how much room you have to stock it. How big your budget for inventory is and the like.

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

rebecca676Thu Aug-02-07 05:11 AM

#2. "RE: Starting inventory"
In response to Reply # 1

I plan on stocking inventory and dropshipping. I think this will give me a larger inventory and betterp roduct mix. Storage is not a problem. I am having trouble coming up with a budget. Not to say that I have unlimited amounts of money, but I am somewhat flexible here which is why I was asking if anyone knew what a good starting inventory would be. I agree that dropshipping is a great route though and do plan on using that for at least half of my inventory.

sjd314Wed Aug-29-07 01:42 PM

#3. "RE: Starting inventory"
In response to Reply # 0

A general rule of thumb is two tops to every bottom. For a store front most generally you have $100 of inventory for every square foot available.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #835 Previous topic | Next topic