Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #79

Subject: "Women and Men Clothing Store" Previous topic | Next topic
rublakenTue Sep-26-06 01:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Women and Men Clothing Store"

I have this great idea that was taken from craft shops. I wanted to open a store that other vendors bring in their clothing and accessories for one flat rate a month. All NEW items. No used or childrens clothing allowed. There would not be booth space. It will be set up like a traditional retail store You can bring in as much inventory as you like. I also have clothing that I sell currently out of my home but space is lmited. I just wanted some feed back about this idea.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Women and Men Clothing Store
Sep 29th 2006
Oct 09th 2006
Oct 12th 2006
Oct 13th 2006
Oct 14th 2006

bizdevFri Sep-29-06 07:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Women and Men Clothing Store"
In response to Reply # 0

So how do you make money from this? You lease space to these vendors? Do you take a percentage of sales? Can you make enough to cover the rent on a store front? Can you make enough to cover the other expenses (utilities, advertising, payroll, etc). Have you figured out your start up expenses? Start up costs can be very high. You need to cover the security deposit on the space, your racking and equipment (hangers, tags, tables, signs, lighting, point of sale equipment, steamer, office furniture and equipment, etc.) Also part of start of costs are professional fees (accountant and attorney) and permit fees. Will you need to build out the space or remodel?

It can certainly work for crafters, but that is a tried and proven type of business. Something like what you are proposing may take a while to bring in enough vendors and customers. There is something similar to your idea in my area. They call it an indoor flea market. Vendors lease space and sell new clothing, shoes and all sorts of miscellaneous decorative items. It's a huge venue though and the rent is astronomical. The vendors are charged around $700 a month for a 10x10 space.

Start with your business plan so you know if this is really a viable idea. See below for help with that.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

rublakenMon Oct-09-06 04:26 AM

#2. "RE: Women and Men Clothing Store"
In response to Reply # 1

The Vendors will not have booth space it will be set up like a tradtional clothing store. With all vendors having ID numbers. They will be charged one flat rate per month plus 10% of all sales. I already have a building. I already have the hangers, tags,point of sale equipment, signs. This is not a indoor flea market the vendors do not have to be present to sell their items. My fee that I am charging is no where near as much a in your area.

bizdevThu Oct-12-06 06:49 AM

#3. "RE: Women and Men Clothing Store"
In response to Reply # 2

Hmm. I'm still not quite getting the point. Will there be any sort of theme or is it a mish mash of whatever any vendor happens to carry? What type of customer are you targeting? Younger? Older? Hipper? More traditional? Are your vendors signing up month to month? How will a customer know what to expect or is that part of the draw? A surprise every time you visit?

Let us know how it goes.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

rublakenFri Oct-13-06 01:49 AM

#4. "RE: Women and Men Clothing Store"
In response to Reply # 3

>Hmm. I'm still not quite getting the point. Will there be any
>sort of theme or is it a mish mash of whatever any vendor
>happens to carry? What type of customer are you targeting?
>Younger? Older? Hipper? More traditional? Are your vendors
>signing up month to month? How will a customer know what to
>expect or is that part of the draw? A surprise every time you
>visit?
>
>Let us know how it goes.

I am specailizing in plus sizes. I will carry all the lastest styles no surprises when you enter the store Vendors will sign up for a min of 6 months.

josiSat Oct-14-06 08:14 PM

#5. "RE: Women and Men Clothing Store"
In response to Reply # 4

It sounds to me that you prity much know what you are doing. I think it sounds great. As someone else said please let us know how it goes.

**ONLY LOSERS PAY FOR LEADS** Discover how average people with no marketing backgrounds are getting prospects to pay them....NEVER PAY FOR TRAFFIC AGAIN!!!
http://DJ32.payitforward4profits.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #79 Previous topic | Next topic