Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #727

Subject: "Food delivery business question" Previous topic | Next topic
rmettsSun Jun-10-07 11:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Food delivery business question"

I'm thinking of starting a local food delivery business. Something along the lines of takeout taxi. I will deliver food (and maybe grocery and other items) to local hotel patrons. There are about 6 or 7 hotels in our hometown and none of the resturaunts deliver..not even the pizza places. I have 2 questions.

1. are there any considerations besides business license that I need to consider before starting. (DHEC, special insurance, etc.)

2. how should I charge? I'm thinking a flat 5.00 fee for the first resturaunt/stop, and 2.00 for each additional.. plus tips which will be encouraged.

I think this business will thrive in the summer. I will work it evenings from 7:00 till maybe 10 or 11. Possibly just Thursday-Saturday. My wife and I both have regular full time jobs besides this.

Thanks for the help.
Ron

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Food delivery business question
Jun 10th 2007
RE: Food delivery business question
Jun 10th 2007

tamaralysterSun Jun-10-07 03:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Food delivery business question"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi There Ron,

Definitly sounds like a very interesting business idea and there could certainly be a market for it. You may want to think about starting earlier though. Maybe 5.30-6pm depending on how late you work with your full time role. Many people eat around 6pm and it also makes it alot more user friendly for families with young kids as 6pm is a common meal time.

I'd suggest charging a slightly lower fee ($4 or so) but perhaps a flat fee. It makes it a little more attractive to people who are only staying overnight or not eating in their rooms as a rule. Alternatively you could offer a set fee for one off deliveries and another fee structure for people who are staying longer.

Unfortunately I can't help in regards to obtaining licenses as i'm based in another country with different laws. Visit your local small business advisory or advice bureau, they may be able to offer you more insight into the legalities.

All the best with your business and I hope you make it a great success.

rmettsSun Jun-10-07 04:48 PM

#2. "RE: Food delivery business question"
In response to Reply # 1

The 4.00 or so sounds ok.. as for time, I work 6am-6pm in my regular job on average 3-4 days a week. It's a shift schedule so it varies as to which days. On my off days I could work earlier, but it would be hard to advertise. Also I need enough time to get my clothes changed before starting delivery.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can come up with.

Ron

Lobby Startup Stew topic #727 Previous topic | Next topic