Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #72

Subject: "Partnership question" Previous topic | Next topic
jlightSun Sep-24-06 02:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Partnership question"

I am starting an internet business, and I brought a partner in to handle all the techie side of things. Verbal agreement only, which I now realize was not the smartest move.

He has failed to provide the product that he promised, and my business launch has been delayed twice already, and appears will be delayed a third time, since the product still hasn't left his development queue. I have tried to be patient, but it has been nearly a year since promised delivery.

My question is, what is required of me to terminate the partnership and find another party to complete the project? I expect I will need to compensate him for the work already put in, though I am not sure that it will be a usable platform for whomever picks up the project. Am I allowed to prorate the compensation based on my lost time on this project?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Partnership question
Sep 28th 2006
RE: Partnership question
Oct 13th 2006

wwcap1Thu Sep-28-06 08:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Partnership question"
In response to Reply # 0

Some partnership! Obviously your partner isn't serious about the deal or you wouldn't have been delayed. That is unless you made up the deadlilnes yourself. Have you seen the work? If not, just say to him, "have a nice life", and move on with absolutely no obligation.

If you have seen the work and you want to use it knowing you will need to pay for it, you need to negotiate the best deal for you. I'd bet that as soon as your partner knows there's money in it it will soon become the most important project ever! I'd offer a very low 100% all rights and files buyout.

Hope this helps.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com

PhanntomFri Oct-13-06 08:35 AM

#2. "RE: Partnership question"
In response to Reply # 0

This is the partnership that never was. I'm assuming he put in no cash and what he was bringing to the table was his work product. If that's the case...I don't see where there's a partnership. When he failed to deliver on his portion of the contract he breached it which invalidates the entire thing.

If he were me...I wouldn't accept the work product now or in the future and would send him a certified letter stating your intent to end the partnership based on the fact he breached the contract by not delivering in a timely manner.

Now the caveat...spend a hundred bucks and verify my info by TALKING TO AND ATTORNEY.
Good luck
Denny

Denny

Lobby Startup Stew topic #72 Previous topic | Next topic