Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #710

Subject: "where do I start?" Previous topic | Next topic
dmr816Tue Jun-05-07 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"where do I start?"

I would like to know if anyone can help. I want to start a childrens second hand store there is only one in my area and its a little grungy, I want to do something nicer how do I start getting the childrens clothing to sell. Do I do it as a % of the sale. I dont know where to start. my mother in law used to run one years ago so she gave me a few ideas but I would like more help. (the more the better) thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: where do I start?
Jun 05th 2007
Jun 06th 2007
Jun 09th 2007

ZeroGCreativeTue Jun-05-07 05:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

I believe that you by the clothes from people and them sell them and you keep the profit. I wouldn't suggest selling them for people and you keep a portion of the profit. On an economy of scale it just wouldn't be worth your time trying to keep track of all that! If you are looking for inventory to begin with, try posting on Craigs list under items wanted and describe what you are looking for. Also, an ad in the local paper under "wanted" would be good as well. Have predetermined prices based on each type of garment and size. That way it will be easier to process your purchases. Mark your clothes up accordingly. Hit up some garage sales...I am sure you will find children's clothes with tags still on them you can get for a steal.

Once the store opens, you will see you have the same people buying from you and selling to you...along with other just buying.

Where are you located? If you are located in a state where it is cold and gets a lot of snow, or has skiing near by...cash in on that market. Kids grow out of their winter boots/jackets/snow pants/skis every year! And that stuff is expensive brad new. Those items never get worn down that much either! People will keep coming back year after year to get there kids new ski pants and cash in on the other ones!!

Hope this helps!

Jen Dudley
www.zerogcreative.com
Whether you need a new logo, business card, brochure or web site, Zero-G delivers incredible results at an affordable price. When it comes to your business, reach for the stars? Not your wallet.

dmr816Wed Jun-06-07 02:05 AM

#2. "RE: where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 1

thank you so much I am locaated somewhere with snow.. that is a great idea I was also going to do some second hand maternity clothing because that is a market worth tapping into. I am now also looking for a good location. I dont want a retail shop that is too big becausse I want to at least start small and stay that way unless there is a need to go bigger. thank you again.

tamaralysterSat Jun-09-07 06:32 PM

#3. "RE: where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi There,

Great business idea. There is a global demand for good quality childrens and maternity clothes that are more cost effective than brand name items. If you work hard and get your name out there you will be able to create a great little niche for your business.

"On behalf" selling (selling an item for someone then taking a percentage) is a bookwork nightmare, as someone else has already stated. Buy everything outright so you are the sole owner. Bulk buying would be ideal as you can split into smaller lots or sell separately and hopefully make a good profit.

Advertise in local papers, baby, family and maternity related magazines with "wanted" ads, place posters in areas where mums frequent (supermarkets, doctors offices, pre schools, schools etc), visit garage sales and keep on eye on "for sale" notices in newspapers and in the baby and child sections of classified advertising and join ebay.com or another online auction site. You can often get great bargains on bulk lots and brand name items.

Many of the above mediums can also be used to sell your products.

Are you planning on selling clothes only on second hand baby furniture and equipment aswell?

ALl the best to you,

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

Lobby Startup Stew topic #710 Previous topic | Next topic