Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #706

Subject: "Have the idea FINALLY......now what?" Previous topic | Next topic
findingdetailsTue Jun-05-07 06:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"

I have been searching and searching for the right idea and I believe I finally have it. I am very organized and detail oriented and thrive on making things work orderly and efficiently. I live in a small community and am wanting to pursue a service business in where I assist business and individuals with running errands, organizing their business, and clerical support and/or creating forms to help them organize their businesses. Because I live in a small area I feel that incorporating these services will offer me the most opportunity. If I find that one in particular seems to draw more business I will focus my energeries in that direction.

I believe this business will offer me the opportunity to have to invest a minimal amount of cash for start up and I can start it on the side to my current job in order to feel out the response prior to quitting my job.

I want to do this right so that I don't cut my nose off in spite of my face. I know creating my business plan is my next step, but any other ideas or suggestions to make this transition as smooth and as profitable as possible? Any input to whether or not this sounds like a winner for a rural community? I have been getting some positive feedback on this one. Let me know your thoughts..........Thanks!

Thanks,
Tam

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?
Jun 05th 2007
Jun 05th 2007
Jun 06th 2007
Jun 06th 2007
Jun 10th 2007
Jun 11th 2007

findingdetailsTue Jun-05-07 06:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

In addition if you have an idea as to what to charge for these services that would be a great help. The community that I anticipate my main focus being on has a population of about 3,400 people. Let me know.

Thanks,
Tam

PhanntomTue Jun-05-07 03:39 PM

#2. "RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tam...

I only know one of your numbers and that's the 3,400 population you'll have for your market and that would seem to me to be too small to make a go of it. If the total population is 3,400 a fair part of that number is minor children which probably won't use your service. Another part will be seniors that can't afford to use the service, and then a large part of the remainder will have to be divided by 2 as they will be married households. Just thumbnailing what I see you'll have to be able to get a near 100% marketshare of those inclined to use your service to make a go of it.

Of course your businessplan should give you a good indication of your prospects of success.
Good luck

Denny

findingdetailsWed Jun-06-07 02:54 AM

#3. "RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"
In response to Reply # 2

Denny,

Thanks for the prospective, but the area I am focusing on is the central business area for the entire county for where I live, a lot of the businesses and agencies that people work at are located there as well so I would be able to focus on the business sector first and foremost. That is at least the plan. However, if there is more interest generated from the private sector I will focus my energies there. I think that I have a lot of organizational and detail focused skills to offer businesses and/or individuals.

However, with this being a smaller rural community in which I live that has been my biggest obstacle, finding the business that will succeed in smaller area with a smaller number of people in which I can offer my services to. If you have any other suggestions that you feel may work in a smaller community that may incorporate what I looking to achieve, by all means, please let me know.

Thank you,
Tami

PhanntomWed Jun-06-07 06:13 PM

#4. "RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tami...

That population base is pretty small to try to invest in any business beyond a cafe. If I had to try and make a go of it I'd probably look at becoming a landlord as in a community that small there's usually a large portion of the population that can't afford to buy.

In a large market like L.A. you only need a very tiny market share to make a go of things but a market that large also has it's unique problems...for one thing, just getting to it all.

Just don't rush into anything. Look around at the businesses that are already there and doing well. Put your ear to the ground and you may find someone that wants to sell and retire. If they've been making a go of it over a long period in all likelihood you can too.
Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas.
Good luck

Denny

tamaralysterSun Jun-10-07 04:29 PM

#5. "RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Tam,

What a great idea for a business. 3,500 population may be a little on the small side but perhaps look into targetting your business not just for businesses but households to.

You say you are organised and detail orientated? Perhaps delve a little deeper into these qualities. Could you extend this into a home organisation service. This will increase your potential target market to not only business owners but busy mums and dads, or anyone else in need of structuring there home into an organised environment.

How about looking at what services you can provide the local farmers. Do they need someone to come in and handle there accounts? pay bills? or run errands?

Do some research by asking around. Find out if there would be a demand for your proposed services. From this research you can start to ascertain where a good starting point would be. Perhaps look at doing a mail drop of leaflets detailing a few of your services or make a few calls to the bigger businesses in your community and ask for permission to send a brochure.

Just remember, do not limit your services until you know what the demand will be. Be open to anything and evaluate as you go.

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

findingdetailsMon Jun-11-07 09:35 AM

#6. "RE: Have the idea FINALLY......now what?"
In response to Reply # 5

Tamara,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I never thought about pinpointing the farmers for those type of things, it is an interesting idea to throw into the mix.

I know I need to be open to investigating all the possibilities in order to target the right mix of prospective clients to offer services to.....I know where I live seems like a small area but I want to stay in this area and I think this is the best way to do. I have been speaking with a relative who is very interested in pursuing this with me, and for what I lack she makes up and I believe we may compliment each other well. She has talked for years about starting her own business, but has never been able to come up with what she felt was a winning idea for a rural area. She is really enthusiastic about this and hopefully this will be the start to an incredible partnership that yields positive results!!!!

Thanks for the input and motivation!

Tam

Lobby Startup Stew topic #706 Previous topic | Next topic