Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #684

Subject: "Property Management" Previous topic | Next topic
A.G.Thu May-31-07 04:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Property Management"

I am interested in Private Property Management. I am in Business school right now and I work a full-time job. After I finish school next summer, I want to start managing homes for people who have rental properties. An associate of mine asked me last year if I could help him with a few projects over the summer while he was out of the country and I really enjoyed it. He is moving out of the state by teh end of next year but wants to keep his properties here. I want to be in a better position to manage hsi as well as take on some other properties. I do not know where to start though. He has 40 properties currently. What can I do now in order to prepare myself to be able to start tis business next year? Are there books I should read? Seminars to go to, classes to take? Any advice on any level would help. What kind of company should I start? HELP!

A.G.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

lonewolfThu May-31-07 04:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Property Management"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi, I have been in property management for five years now, and I can tell you that all the classroom study in the world wont properly prepare you for the full time management position. Its alot of common scense, and the rest is just asking other managers face to face how they manage their property. But one great rescource that is a must is attending all the fair housing meetings you can. The laws are strict, but they protect you as a manager and your tenants. Try to attend a big seminar, those will be in a large auditorium, and will have small classrooms with speakers giving lectures throughout the day on everything from how to deal with meth, to all aspects of fair housing. and those people will be able to answer ANY questions you have, and hundreds that you havent thought of. Its alot of work my friend, but the great reputation you will aquire as word spreads that your property(s) are fair housing compliant will carry you through all the hundred little day to day problems. good luck to you, Property Management is a great vocation, just take your time.

steve.

Steve Fackerell, LonewolfDesigns

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Startup Stew topic #684 Previous topic | Next topic