Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #667

Subject: "How to handle this" Previous topic | Next topic
rebecca676Mon May-28-07 06:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How to handle this"

I am starting my own clothing line. My ultimate goal is to have stores like Macy's, Dollards, and Bloomingdale's carry my line. I realize that this is a big goal and it will take me a long time to get there. In the mean time I plan to sell my line to small boutiques and attend trade shows. Here is my question..if i am selling my line at several boutiques and then a big store such as Macy's decides to carry my line, I am not sure that i would want to sell to the somaller boutiques anymore. How would i go about dealing with that situation? I can't just call up my stores and say sorry, I'm not selling to you anymore. That just seems rude and not a very good business practice. Any thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How to handle this
May 28th 2007
Jun 04th 2007
Jun 05th 2007
Jun 14th 2007

PhanntomMon May-28-07 01:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How to handle this"
In response to Reply # 0

Rebecca,

Don't get the cart before the horse...it will take a long time and a good track record to break into the big chains. If and when the time comes you can actually have two lines...one for the boutiques and one for the department stores, or you can just increase your minimums to the point they are no longer attractive to the small retailer. But the big stores turn on a dime. You may find they pick your line up, you get rid of all the little guys that got you there, and then something "hotter" comes out and they drop you. If you get to the point the big retailers pick you up you can deal with it then. They aren't going to ask you to stop selling to the other guys but they may ask you to produce something just for them...if that's the case your problem is solved.

Denny

rebecca676Mon Jun-04-07 08:34 AM

#2. "RE: How to handle this"
In response to Reply # 1

Two lines, one fot the big guys and one for the others...why didn't I think of that??? Great advice Denny, thanks so much.

MREbrandstudiosTue Jun-05-07 07:59 AM

#3. "RE: How to handle this"
In response to Reply # 2

Hello,

We deal with this delima quite often. Once your line becomes very popular in the smaller avenues. The mainstream later picks up your line. Generally we have seen the larger retail outlet having you design an exculsive line just for them. In which your pieces will only be available at their outlet. You still would be able to maintain the small stores as well as the online market. Hope thats helpful. Send us any questions or give us a call to answer any of your qu8estions.

MRE Brand Studios
Los Angeles , Ca.
323-223-0818
www.myspace.com/mrebrandstudios

rebecca676Thu Jun-14-07 05:57 AM

#4. "RE: How to handle this"
In response to Reply # 3

Yes that was very helpful, thanks

Lobby Startup Stew topic #667 Previous topic | Next topic