Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #612

Subject: "What do you do when someone badmouths you?" Previous topic | Next topic
lindalouwhoTue May-08-07 03:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What do you do when someone badmouths you?"

I publish books. Had a distributor hook me up with some artists she also reps for to provide artwork for covers of books. Distributor sells lots, but fails to collect. 5 months later, no payments even though I sent out $15K in books to customers. I say enough after one promise of check after another. I take over billing and customers have no problems paying.

I definitely overreacted when I asked and never got an accurate accounting of who paid and customer contact info so I could collect. I was so ticked by thattime I said I wouldn't pay her or her distributor boss any commissions. Didn't mean it. Just trying to get information any way I could.

Distributor boss (small single-person owned company) tells client who was set to order $30K in a special book order I'm not to be trusted. Client pulls the order. Then artists start dropping out, asking me to not use their images (I offered them easy outs in the contracts).

Now distributor has contacted all the artists and told them in essence they wouldn't distribute their artwork if they continued to allow images to be used on books.

I offered an olive branch today, and said you can sell again, just not distribute and sorry for blowing up.

If the distributor and her sales person don't agree, I feel I should actually go after them for slander and badmouthing me. There's no doubt what they said directly effected sales. Went from $60K in sales down to about $28K right now.

I can get other artists for covers of the books, so I'm not out much if I have to stop printing artwork. There's lots of artists in my area and in the world that would license images. A few are well-known locally, so it's tough to loose them, but these are tourist books tied to a local market and tourists don't seem to care. Tourists buy lots of chinese made goods.

Distributor was good at sales. But horrible at collection. And even worse now that they've badmouthed me and caused sales to evaporate. They have a tight arrangement with these artists, and have essentially said if you do a book with her, we won't rep your stuff.

What would you do?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

wwcap1Thu May-10-07 06:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: What do you do when someone badmouths you?"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't mess around talk to a lawyer and proceed with all dispatch. The longer you wait the harder it will be for your attorney to make a case. You definitely have a case, in my humble, non-legal opinion.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Startup Stew topic #612 Previous topic | Next topic