Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #562

Subject: "Business Start-up Idea" Previous topic | Next topic
tafortsonThu Apr-12-07 04:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Business Start-up Idea"

Hello, I'm new to this site (participating). I've browsed it many times and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Here is my issue... I've been pondering a business concept for about two years. I've tossed around whether to make it a LLC, non-profit, or Sole prop. The more I research, the more confused I get. I've attended business seminars, talked to professionals (accountants, attorneys, consultants). I've tried unsuccessfuly to get information from simular organizations and businesses on how to get started. I need HELP! I want to start a business for women entering/re-entering the the workforce. I'd like to offer a variety of workshops and seminars, mentorship programs and the like. Total personal makeovers to include a clothing closet. At this point I have the ficticious name filed. I've started my business plan (which is causing great anxiety). I am a parttime independent consultant and I'd like to incorporated that business into this project as well.

Can anyone give me some REAL direction? This endeavor is a passion of mine and I'd like it to be a success!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Business Start-up Idea
Apr 25th 2007
May 07th 2007
Apr 29th 2007

Roseb441702Wed Apr-25-07 12:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Business Start-up Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

>Hello, I'm new to this site (participating). I've browsed it
>many times and I thought I'd give it a shot.
>
>Here is my issue... I've been pondering a business concept
>for about two years. I've tossed around whether to make it a
>LLC, non-profit, or Sole prop. The more I research, the more
>confused I get. I've attended business seminars, talked to
>professionals (accountants, attorneys, consultants). I've
>tried unsuccessfuly to get information from simular
>organizations and businesses on how to get started. I need
>HELP! I want to start a business for women
>entering/re-entering the the workforce. I'd like to offer a
>variety of workshops and seminars, mentorship programs and the
>like. Total personal makeovers to include a clothing closet.
>At this point I have the ficticious name filed. I've started
>my business plan (which is causing great anxiety). I am a
>parttime independent consultant and I'd like to incorporated
>that business into this project as well.
>
>Can anyone give me some REAL direction? This endeavor is a
>passion of mine and I'd like it to be a success!

I'm wondering about your business plan because the information that you want to know should be included in it. Remember a business plan isn't just for numbers. There are so many things that you want to do and the best way would be for you to start at one at a time (maybe you're trying too much too fast for too soon)

The most simplest way to get started is to start with a blank piece of paper and at the top put the name of your business and on the next line put something like "women entering the workforce"

Then list the services that you want to offer and then under each service write answer the 5 w's what, where, when, who and how. That way you will have scoped out a general plan of your business.

The next thing that you're going to have to do for your business is to let people know that your are in business. How do you do that? You market, promote and advertise. You can reach more people by having a website because of course the internet is open 24/7 and seen from all around the world. On that website show your area of expertise, promote your business, garner a business identity and build your reputation. I can't tell you how many people - including myself - have built up there business(es) by having a website. And since I do a lot of grant work I should tell you that what you're wanting to achieve is something that that the government and other organizations want achieved as well and I'm talking about wanting more women (and people in general) to enter (or re-enter) the workforce.

So at least get a website started. If you don't know how first plan out a basic outline of how you want your website to look - that's right - use a simple pencil with an eraser (you're gonna need it
and write down how you want your website to look like even if you don't know what you will want to put on your website you will know that you'll at least want to put up some basic information about your business. The purpose of this is to get your website up and on the Internet. If you can't afford to get your own domain then use one of the free webhosts that are on the Internet. Remember you're doing this to have your website up and on the Internet so that it can be seen. Now having a website and all that it entails is going to require work on your part because the next part is getting people to your page - ahem - and showing them that you're open and ready for business. This is where some of the work will come in. I like that phrase that's been used about "just because you built it doesn't mean that they will come" - you will have to make them come. Now a good way to monitor this is to add a counter to your website - if you can manage it have an invisible counter at first so only you can see the number of visitors to your website. Having this counter is a good tool for "working" your website. One of the things to remember is that one of the reasons that you will have this website is to show your business and to start to build a reputation and recognition of your business.

Now don't forget out the "offline" stuff that you do to promote your business as well. That will include flyers, business cards, even posters!

Bit by bit you will see things taking shape.

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

tafortsonMon May-07-07 06:47 PM

#3. "RE: Business Start-up Idea"
In response to Reply # 1

You're absolutely right! My business plan needs the information I'm looking for. I'm trying not to put the cart before the horse.

Thanks for the tips, some I have tried and some I will try. Maybe once I pinpoint which part of the business I want to focus on first, I can get a better handle on thing. But it seems that I'm going to need a business license to even get started. Decisions and more decisions...

I'm looking at starting as an LLC. I have designed fliers, business cards, brochures, etc. Right now I use them when I meet with prospective partners, supporters. I would like to get a website up and running soon.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to reply to my message.

StrategistSun Apr-29-07 09:32 PM

#2. "RE: Business Start-up Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

My advice...

Stop researching and get doing!

I am not a lawyer, but I received some general information from a lawyer at an event. It went something like this: If you are a service business, being an LLC is OK. However, if you are going to be a service business that will also create or sell any sort of product (ebooks, audios, books, etc are products) then S corp is a better way to go. And if you go LLC to start, it's no big deal in most states to become an S corp.

My specialty is business planning... look at it as an adventure. And the difference between fear and excitment is .... breathing.

Maria Marsala

Let me help you substantially grow your financial advisory business or nonprofit with P.E.P. Increase productivity, efficiency, and profit.

Learn more and get free tips at http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #562 Previous topic | Next topic