Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #504

Subject: "Government contract" Previous topic | Next topic
T-RampWed Mar-21-07 07:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Government contract"

I was told of a small government contract up for bid. Repairing golf carts for a government funded Golf Course. I want to bid on it, but do not have a actual business. I do do work on the side related to this contract, and have a business name, but it does not bring much of an income in. But with the contract, it would make a nice steady part-time income. Questions are. Will the government accept a LLC? Or do I have to be insured, and bonded, and whatever else. Is there something that I can do on-line to become a legal business? What ever help would be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Government contract
Mar 22nd 2007
RE: Government contract
Mar 22nd 2007

jenettd1Thu Mar-22-07 04:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Government contract"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-22-07 04:51 AM by jenettd1

Hi,

I just became a government contractor so I think I can help you.
The government will accept any business structure, LLC, Corp, etc.
First, you have to register with the Central Contractor Registry before you can do business with the federal government. Their website is www.ccr.gov. And in order to register with them you need to acquire a duns number at www.dnb.com. You may have to call D&B and tell them that you wish to do business with the government, that way you can get your duns number in 7 days, I think, as opposed to 30 for regular vendors. Oh, I almost forgot, your business has to be registered in whatever state you choose first as D&B will check for that. You can do a web search for your state's business licensing dept., like "starting a business in "your state"". That's what I had to do for mine and it should give you steps on how to register and how much it costs. If you are a minority, you can check www.sba.gov for government certifications. Even if you're not a minority, sba has good info on doing business with the government. If you're looking to work with state and local agencies also, you can check your state or local agency's purchasing/procurement website for opportunities as well. Some require that you register as a vendor. And if you are a minority biz you can apply for state and local certifications as well.
Hope this helps. If I remember anything else, I'll post.

Jenet T. Doubrare
President
Systems Knowledge Support, LLC
V/M: 877-850-5321
info@sks-llc.com
www.sks-llc.com

T-RampThu Mar-22-07 07:54 AM

#2. "RE: Government contract"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank You, I will definitly check into that. I really appreciate any help. I am flying blind at the moment.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #504 Previous topic | Next topic