Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #349

Subject: "Business partner or not?" Previous topic | Next topic
kremerMon Jan-22-07 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Business partner or not?"

Thank you so much for such a great resource for aspiring small business owners and potential owners. I myself am a potential owner. I've got a few questionss at this time but many more will surely soon to follow. i have been cultivating an idea for a small retail clothing and accesories store. Well, to tell you the truth, I have never worked in retail but I am so passionate about going through with this idea. Well, I happened to meet someone who happens to own their own "apparently" successful retail clothing store in the same town. Completely different type of store but kinda similar, to not go into details. Well, chatted with this person for a spell about opening a store. This person was pretty honest with me about gaining some experience in the business and that I really didn't know what I was getting into. I agreed. In telling this person what my idea was his ears perked up and actually shared the same interests and thought that it would be a great idea and that if time, money, and energy were available, he'd do the same thing. again, to abreviate this story a bit he offered me a small space in his store for rent I'm sure to test out the market. Great idea! Well, I then asked if he'd like to partner up somehow maybe advise, maybe have a stake in the company. Oh, I forgot, he'd been in the business for almost 20 years and had resources to get me in with manufacturers and wholesalers and eluded that he would share this resource with me along with helping to set up the business.

Okay, so the questions: What would be fair for both of us? What would be a fair price for consultation considering he'd spend some significant time to help develop this company. Would a partnership be better for the both of us somehow? By the way, I have set up all the financing for this venture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kremer

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Startup Stew topic #349 Previous topic | Next topic