Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #224

Subject: "I need help launching my business" Previous topic | Next topic
michiTue Nov-14-06 04:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I need help launching my business"

I have never owned my own business so I'm not sure what all to do. I have been studing for my Interior Design Degree to start my own business. I have decided to start while working on my degree, but I am starting in Redesign and Home Staging. I have my name, business cards, and I have created a brochure for Home Staging and I have a website beging built.
I have been researching this area for help and most everyone wants you to pay for training to get acredited. I have learned there is NO ACREDIDATION for Redeisn and home Staging, so I wont waste my money there. Ther are places I cant find help to learn Staging but NOT the business end. I'm not sure how to advertise or market myself. I have no money for it and my credit is bad after my ex-husband stopped paying child support for almost a year (I have four children). I also need to no if there are grants available to me.
I would be greatful for ANY help.
Thank You
Michele

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

NancyThu Nov-30-06 05:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I need help launching my business"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi, Michele.

One of your best marketing tools could be examples of your work.

When you get your first customer (and the next one, etc.) and complete the job, make sure to ask them for a testimonial. Also, ask them to refer you to others. They might even without your asking, but ask anyway.

As you get testimonials, have them printed on the back of your business cards. Place them on your website near the top of the main page, and at the top other pages as well. By "top," I mean high enough on the page so your visitor/prospect doesn't have to scroll in order to see it.

Marketing doesn't have to be expensive. Start with your business cards. Carry them everywhere and talk up your business, both in person and on the phone.

Since your market is probably primarily local, you might think about having your website URL imprinted on something you wear or carry with you such as a sweatshirt, tote bag, or both.

Bumper stickers and pens are some of the most inexpensive options for getting your URL in front of as many "eyeballs" as possible.

Good luck!

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Startup Stew topic #224 Previous topic | Next topic