Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #216

Subject: "need help adjusting my pricing structure" Previous topic | Next topic
homesweetheaterSat Nov-11-06 09:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"need help adjusting my pricing structure"
Sat Nov-11-06 09:17 AM by homesweetheater

Hello all. I am a long time lurker, haven't posted in quite a while. I recently launched my business as a freelance Home Theater installer/consultant and I need some help.

There have been some changes of plan caused by an unforseen issue with my first client. First a little background on what I had in mind for my pricing. I was charging $50 for the house call/trip-fee. Then $35 an hour thereafter. +$10 additional if I had to get in the crawlspace or cramped attic.

The issue came with the fact that I completely underestimated ad under-bid the job. It was a rookie mistake I expected to happen (Not to the extent it did, but ok.) I realized that to make scheduling possible at all with the time involved in a sizeable wiring job, it would need to be broken up into smaller appointments.

I don't feel right charging a trip fee for every appt for the same project. I could eliminate it and use a higher hourly to compinsate for the difference. That seems like it would be too high of an hourly for longer appointments. A separate "multiple appointment" charge on the bid would seem like nickel and diming the customer with fees. I'm stuck! Any help would be great. Thanks as always in advance!

shawn

- Almost there!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: need help adjusting my pricing structure
Nov 23rd 2006
Nov 27th 2006
Dec 13th 2006

FlemmingBizServThu Nov-23-06 07:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: need help adjusting my pricing structure"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi, Shawn ~

Have you considered charging by the project rather than by the hour? Base your project estimate on the cost of supplies and how many hours you think it is going to take as well as the number of trips (i.e. appointments) you think you need then add a couple of hours (just in case). Include caveats on your estimate for things such as crawl spaces and other oddities. I recommend getting half of your estimate in advance. Then you can bill the final project cost at the end.

You may find that clients are more willing to hire you when they know that the project will cost no more than xxxx amount of dollars rather than being open ended.

Suzette
FlemmingBusinessServices.com

homesweetheaterMon Nov-27-06 08:24 AM

#2. "RE: need help adjusting my pricing structure"
In response to Reply # 1

I like the idea, that is pretty much what I was trying to do. But in putting together an estimate, I need to have things i can list by line item, so I can show where their money is going. I can put "labor: $0.00" but then the question still goes back to the original "how do I arrive at that number" question, both for myself and the client. I was thinking I might just bump my regular hourly by $5 and get rid of the trip charge, and just say labor minimum of at least 1 hour applies. Problem is covering a 350 sq/mi area, if business is slow and I get a bunch of small jobs the gas will kill me. Thanks for the advice!

shawn

- Almost there!

NancyWed Dec-13-06 11:40 AM

#3. "RE: need help adjusting my pricing structure"
In response to Reply # 2

the question still goes back to the original "how do I arrive
>at that number" question, both for myself and the client.> shawn

Hi, Shawn! That's the best way to approach your pricing method, in my opinion. It's much easier for people to justify a cost when they know exactly what is entailed. You also establish more trust when you're clear on exactly how a cost was derived. That alone will help you in terms of referrals.

People do feel more confortable with the assurance that a job won't cost more than a given amount. (I do!) Just allow a margin of error to protect yourself.

Then, if you finish the job in less time than anticipated, you've basically saved the customer money. They're thrilled, and you get a lot of free word-of-mouth marketing to build your clientele.

>I was thinking I might just bump my regular hourly by $5 and get rid of the trip charge, and just say labor minimum of at least 1 hour applies. Problem is covering a 350 sq/mi area, if business is slow and I get a bunch of small jobs the gas will kill me.>

Within a certain radius, you could omit any charge for the trip. Beyond that, you could charge a small fee to cover your expenses.

For a large job, you could absorb your time in terms of the cost of the trip, especially if you're working for several hours each time.

Hope this helps.

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com

Lobby Startup Stew topic #216 Previous topic | Next topic