Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #193

Subject: "Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?" Previous topic | Next topic
lucymayTue Oct-31-06 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
Tue Oct-31-06 11:47 AM by lucymay

I'm a ship without a rudder.

I'm looking for words of encouragement/discouragement, advice, pep-talk, suggestions, referrals, and anything anyone's willing to share.

Here's the backstory, current situation and desire, complete with present wall I'm facing:

I quit a job as a financial editor several years ago to start a business. Didn't even care at the time what it would be; I just knew I was done with working for someone else and that I had the smarts and enough $ saved to make anything work. Wound up getting married and decided a franchise would be a more secure ticket since I had more than myself to think about.

Time passes, and recently(as in just a few months ago), right before my 1st store was to open, a bombshell falls. My wife and I separate, the business is rendered dead in the water and I terminate the franchise agreement, and get out of Dodge. Dark times for sure.

So I've moved to a completely new city to begin anew-98% unfamiliar with it, which lessens as I live here, for obvious reasons. I'm still committed to working for myself, but the franchise idea doesn't appeal to me anymore. This isn't a franchise-friendly town, and I can now take the risk, and royalties and everything else involved with a franchise doesn't appeal to me.

SO, here's where I'm floundering, BAD. I'm having business writers block. Meaning I'm having a hard time seeing what's needed here, where a niche exists, and most importantly and most frustrating, where my skills and passions could work to build a successful living.

I know opportunities abound. I have some creativity. I've asked everyone I meet what this city needs. I wring my brain day in and out for ideas: Nothing.

Couple that with having no contacts here to speak of. Then multiply it with the fact that I'm good and interested in 1000 different things, but not a master or insanely passionate about any of them. Don't have specific training like a CPA, and am equally left and right brained. I have degrees in both Business and English for crying out loud. I've had jobs that cross the spectrum. The types of ideas I'm zoning in on are product-related, which at least narrows it down some, but that's it.

I know how to set up a business. I know how to get funding. I know how to write a business plan. I know how to negotiate a lease. I know the legal ins and outs. I'm also very self-driven and ambitious.

But I'm truly stumped. End of my rope. I've come up with a few ideas, but nothing that hit me like a beam of light and my eyes suddenly pop open and I yell "That's it!" And I think anything I would want to pursue, that would need to happen. I feel brain-dead.

I can't be the only one that has ever been in this position, can I? How do I resolve it? How can I focus?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might point me in the right direction or push me over this giant hill? Anyone want to brainstorm?

ANYTHING is appreciated! Thanks!
Sorry for the long and heavy 1st post!
Michael

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?
Oct 31st 2006
Oct 31st 2006
Nov 04th 2006
Nov 04th 2006
Nov 05th 2006
Nov 06th 2006
When in search of ideas...
Nov 07th 2006
RE: When in search of ideas...
Nov 08th 2006

PhanntomTue Oct-31-06 12:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Michael,

I suspect that much of what you're referring to as brain-dead has to do with depression. I believe divorce is the second most traumatic thing we can go through and a move involving a different city is in the top 5 too. Lack of a job, divorce, move...hell, it's a wonder you can even get out of bed.

In all honesty, it's probably not the right time for you to be looking to start a business. Starting a business requires energy and focus you probably don't have right now. In time, what you're going through right now will pass and you'll be able to focus and devote the time and energy required.

In the meantime you have to live and cover the associated costs and don't want to deplete your seed money. I'd suggest you look for a job...something beneath your abilities. That way you'll have something to do to get you out of bed in the morning, that will provide you with some income, but not enough to make you too comfortable to leave in the future and will help you to keep your funds.

While in principle I agree with you on the franchise thing, there are plenty of opportunites out there...many of which you may not even have heard of, but your brain is going to have to be in a better place or you're likely to fail at something that you could've succeeded at during another time. Feel free to email me if you want to brainstorm.
Good luck,
Denny

Denny

lucymayTue Oct-31-06 04:13 PM

#2. "RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
In response to Reply # 1

You certainly may be right about the depression, but I feel like I can't get bogged down in that and am fairly adept at setting aside personal disasters, and if anything starting the business would provide a much needed project, challenge, and sense of accomplishment and ultimately fulfillment. Fortunately, I consider myself quite self-aware, cautiously optimistic, and never so foolhardy to rush into something beyond my capabilities and which hasn't been mapped out with alternative scenarios and opportunities. Believe, me: introspection and self analysis of where I am in all aspects of my life have been completed at this point, after being hit with such a blow(s).

Also, I feel like I've wasted so much time with setting up that last business, that any more regrouping via a menial job would be wasting more precious time. Could be the state of mind I'm in, but time being a resource that can't be replenished is a fact that is more apparent than ever right now. I kept telling myself the time wasn't right in my 20's; to wait. And regretted it. If the time isn't right now, then when? I'll always be able to make excuses. Plus, when I am up and running, there could always be some life crisis, and I can't just shut down then.

But your comments are sincerely appreciated and duly noted. You're probably more on target than I want to admit. Maybe some couch time with a shrink would serve me well, just to rinse the fuzz off my brain .

When I was exploring franchises, I looked into a zillion. As I mentioned, my interests and abilities are widespread, so it was an arduous process. I ended up coming back to one I had looked at twice before in my 20's, which would have been a home run this time that I really did it (had it actually opened.) The market where I am now would be a different story for that business, however. I certainly can appreciate the merits of a franchise model, but it wouldn't provide the independence I now seek. HOWEVER, that being said, if a concept existed that was strong enough that it could also be a home run here, I can't say I would walk away from it. Business is business. I don't plan on actively pursuing one though.

I may PM you- I appreciate the offer. I need a fresh approach to this situation as well as a different angle and soundboard. I'm starting from square one and know this isn't something I can or should try to do single-handedly. Thanks-
Michael

bizdevSat Nov-04-06 04:31 AM

#3. "RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
In response to Reply # 2

Michael, I normally advise people on how to start a business and send them to my web site for that. However, since what you are looking for is ideas I have a couple of suggestions.

First of all I also offer a link to a great place for brainstorming different ways to earn a living without a "job".
http://www.smallbusinessstartup.biz/hate/

There are also many ideas and resources for those that want to start their own business but don't know what they want to do. Take a look around, maybe something will spark an interest.

Also, as much as I love, love, love this forum...there is another forum that you may find more suitable to your needs. There is so much brainstorming going on there I'm sure you will find it helpful.

I feel your pain. You will find your passion and you will find your way to the answer you're looking for.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

bizdevSat Nov-04-06 04:33 AM

#4. "RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
In response to Reply # 3

>there is another forum that you may find more suitable to your needs.
>There is so much brainstorming going on there I'm sure you
>will find it helpful.
>

Here is the site:
http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/index.php

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

lucymaySun Nov-05-06 06:47 AM

#5. "RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks so much Sylvia-those look perfectly suited for what I'm looking for and ought to be a huge help.
Do you have any personal experience with the books, programs or people involved, or know anyone who does and what their opinions are?
Looks like I've got my Sunday afternoon mapped out.
Thanks again!
Michael

DBeaversMon Nov-06-06 10:53 PM

#6. "RE: Jack of all trades, master of none; what to do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Michael,

If you want to consider something in B2B sales, look at the wonderful world of promotional advertising. It's a service industry that is product based. Clients and prospects are looking for better return on investment for their advertising and marketing dollars. If you provide, they'll come back to order again and again.

I have many clients who have been ordering from me for 15 to 22 years, some with annual expenditures of $10K+.

It's definately a field for a people person, and the relationship-style of selling is one of the most effective means of building a business for the long haul.

Surprisingly, although many business people can name just one or two career salespeople in this field, the US industry requires over 100K sales professionals to service the buyers in this $18 Billion industry.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the industry or the company I'm affiliate with. I love being self-employed, and was fortunate to find my career relatively early in life. I'm looking forward to another 40+ years in business, if I enjoy that many more birthdays.

Dennis Bevers
www.CuttingEdgeAdvertising.com

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

MarlinCreekTue Nov-07-06 08:27 PM

#7. "When in search of ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

There's thousands of ways to come up with that ONE business idea that will rock. I find the best way is to just read about as many ideas as possible and then look for weaknesses or improvments as well as how to apply one idea to a different market.

Feel free to check out my site Marlin Creek for ideas. Even if the ONE for you isn't there, maybe you'll find something worth modifying to fit your interests.

Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com

lucymayWed Nov-08-06 04:25 AM

#8. "RE: When in search of ideas..."
In response to Reply # 7

I've actually been to your site-it is helpful.
I've been around people that are just idea machines; you can tell them briefly what you're interested in and they can spit out 50 ideas for an original business just standing there. It's amazing. I'm not saying that it's a unique gift, as I can come up with plenty myself, but I tend to overthink each one to the point I'm convinced it wouldn't work. Plus there's never that 'ah-ha' moment.

I went and got all the Barbara Sher books at my library and even ordered 'Finding Your True Calling' by Valerie Young, so that should keep me occupied, if nothing else.

Lobby Startup Stew topic #193 Previous topic | Next topic