Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Startup Stew topic #1833

Subject: "Question about permits etc..." Previous topic | Next topic
khouseWed Jul-15-09 06:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Question about permits etc..."

If I was opening a space that was designated to hold children's parties...And I wanted to have Cupcakes to decorate..not baked there but brought in..and toppings...Do I need special permits..etc.? Also, what type of insurance would I need to protect myself..all though I don't really forsee danger in decorating cupcakes...lol (but ya never know)
Thanks for any help...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Question about permits etc...
Jul 15th 2009
Jul 15th 2009
Jul 15th 2009
Jul 15th 2009
Jul 16th 2009

bizdevWed Jul-15-09 07:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Question about permits etc..."
In response to Reply # 0

You don't specify where this space will be. If you are leasing a spot or using a room of your home, the answers will be a little different. Not knowing that part of the equation I would suggest you call or visit your local county offices. They will direct you.

You will need a business permit in either case in the name of your business. You can obtain a DBA (doing business as) certificate from the same county offices. If you need to collect sales tax (if you decide to sell other add on items) you will need to apply with your state's tax office. If you are leasing a commercial space you will need an occupancy permit. If you are using a room in your home you need to make sure your home is zoned properly.

Check out my start up kit below. It goes into great detail about each of these steps and much more.

Good luck!

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

khouseWed Jul-15-09 08:01 AM

#2. "RE: Question about permits etc..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-15-09 08:05 AM by khouse

Sorry..I will Clarify...
I was thinking of a commercial space...
I would buy ready made cupcakes from wholesaler, but would have on hand jars filled with sprinkles and cupcake decorations.
Thanks so much for advice,...this helps the ball rolling..: )

Texas2sumWed Jul-15-09 03:40 PM

#3. "RE: Question about permits etc..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you store (as in keep supplies on hand) cupcakes, decorations and so forth then you will need at least a vendors or concession stand type food permit. It covers the service of prepared foods.

As to insurance a general liability policy for your business would be appropriate for the circumstances. Because of the low risk of a business such as you describe a good policy should cost less than $1000.00 per year. You should consider a one million dollar policy with half a million per occurrence with a two million aggregate. Talk to a local agent, perhaps where you purchase your auto and homeowners they typically will handle business general liability.

Hope this helps.

Pursue your dreams with passion!

Mitch Haynie
M2greensources.com
Passion + Persistence + Perseverance = Success!

khouseWed Jul-15-09 05:38 PM

#4. "RE: Question about permits etc..."
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you all so much for your responses!! What a wonderful site. So helpful!!
I appreciate you each taking the time to respond!

bizdevThu Jul-16-09 06:11 AM

#5. "RE: Question about permits etc..."
In response to Reply # 4

A little more info on the insurance question...
If you are looking at a commercial site the lease will specify how much insurance they require. You may need property insurance in addition to liability ins that covers customers, and workman's comp (if you have employees). Your regular insurance agent or broker can then set it up.

Have you written your business plan yet? While your business idea sounds simple, when you start talking about leasing a store front your expenses skyrocket. In addition to the rent you will likely be responsible for CAM fees (common maintenance) and property taxes (yes, that can fall to the renter). They also might require you to set up a maintenance contract for the air conditioner and such. Add on utilities, signage, equipment, advertising, taxes, etc., and your expenses can very well cause a change in plans.

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

Lobby Startup Stew topic #1833 Previous topic | Next topic